Rear end chattering and clanking sometimes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:21 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oxy- is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Rear end chattering and clanking sometimes

Hello all!

I've been out early morning today to open summer driving season Had done a few sporty drifting laps and after some time when returning home I was faced with these new awful sounds coming from the end of my 325e 86':

1) when cruising (no gear engaged) >40kmh a strong chattering and a feel of vibration emerges from the rear of the car used:
if I engage a gear and accelerate or decelerate (stopping car with an engine) it almost disappears;
if I press the brakes - it almost disappears;
if I change the gear up/down, at the time when there is no gear I hear the chattering again.
Shortly, it seems that the chattering is coming when there is no tension in the drivetrain.

2) when starting from a standstill I hear CLANK! (or BANG!) : then the car runs fine (until I reach middle speeds)...

I have inserted a viscous LSD differential a few years ago. Also had done a major rebuild of it (in order to make more lock) two years ago. And it worked great. Hope it's not a diff... I would suspect the diffs U joint, but then why it appears when cruising and not viceversa?

Hope for your help,

Thanks!
Oxy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 PM
n00b

Oxy- is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Wouw... I got under the car, everything arround the diff seemed fine, then jacked up one wheel, then another and what a surprise - it was loose! The wheel bolts where loose Everything solved after just tightening them!
#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
wow, good thing you were listening to your car!

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Sounds all most like a bad or broken trans mount. And/or it could be that your differential or it's mount has come loose from the rear cross member and/or body...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)