Ready to buy a 325i....need advice! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ueatsoap is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Ready to buy a 325i....need advice!

Hi all-

Just joined the group. Currently own an '06 328xi, and ready to buy my 2nd BMW.

Test drove a used '89 325i convertible yesterday. I love the way this car looks and feels, however I'm not familiar enough with the vehicle to be able to know it's true value.

The car will undoubtedly need some work eventually. The paint is starting to dull, and there are a few small tears in the roof (less then the width of a fingernail. The front seat leather is worn, and will be replaced eventually...but no tears that I saw. My biggest concern is a small rusted hole on the lower part of the driver side corner panel, against the drivers door.

Mechanically, it felt alright. Needs an alignment, a lot of the engine components looked newer as well. I'm picking it up this afternoon to bring it to my own mechanic to get checked out...I'll be sure to report his findings. (Since the car is at a chevy dealership...they don't know much about the car.)

Here is a link to the car (hoping no one here swoops in and buys it first! )

Cars for Sale: 1989 BMW 325i Convertible in Sterling Heights, MI 48313: Convertible Details - 321892490 - AutoTrader.com

SO my question...what should I offer? Was thinking 4.5k and see where that goes? The worst he can say is no, right? I see myself making improvements to the car slowly...is this a good investment to make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

m20enginebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueatsoap View Post
Hi all-

Just joined the group. Currently own an '06 328xi, and ready to buy my 2nd BMW.

Test drove a used '89 325i convertible yesterday. I love the way this car looks and feels, however I'm not familiar enough with the vehicle to be able to know it's true value.

The car will undoubtedly need some work eventually. The paint is starting to dull, and there are a few small tears in the roof (less then the width of a fingernail. The front seat leather is worn, and will be replaced eventually...but no tears that I saw. My biggest concern is a small rusted hole on the lower part of the driver side corner panel, against the drivers door.

Mechanically, it felt alright. Needs an alignment, a lot of the engine components looked newer as well. I'm picking it up this afternoon to bring it to my own mechanic to get checked out...I'll be sure to report his findings. (Since the car is at a chevy dealership...they don't know much about the car.)

Here is a link to the car (hoping no one here swoops in and buys it first! )

Cars for Sale: 1989 BMW 325i Convertible in Sterling Heights, MI 48313: Convertible Details - 321892490 - AutoTrader.com

SO my question...what should I offer? Was thinking 4.5k and see where that goes? The worst he can say is no, right? I see myself making improvements to the car slowly...is this a good investment to make?
Ya people who generally work at chevy dealerships are total and compleate idiots. Make for DAMN sure its had a timing belt replacement in the last 50,000 miles. And if unsure, replace it, and the water pump with it. Even tho the water pump is not timing belt driven, replace it anyway. BMW recommends to replace them with the timing belt every 50,000 miles. Save lots of money and headache later on when it breaks and valves get bent, head gets messed up, rocker arms snap, and pistons end up in the oil pan in pieces.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The add is no longer listed.

$4,500 is WAY overpriced for that. Im suprised they would even have a car like that on their lot.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 AM
n00b

raveen is on a distinguished road
I don't know the selling price or anything.The price may depend on many factors.I don't know how it would be.But if you are looking to buy a car then i can tell you that the best place is in Indianapolis car dealership company.Because my advice is to go to such places that are reputed ones by word of mouth.

The car dealers Indianapolis Indiana always value the customer satisfaction by selling top quality brand new and used vehicles.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen View Post
But if you are looking to buy a car then i can tell you that the best place is in Indianapolis car dealership company.Because my advice is to go to such places that are reputed ones by word of mouth.
Haha you mean by word of spam?

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)