BMW Werkz banner

Radio Installation Kit????

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  guywithblack88e30 
#1 ·
ok im finally gonna get a after market radio installed is there a installation kit for it or did you guys just pop it in???

#3 ·
Usually, you need a wiring harness.... this hooks up to the car's existing stereo wiring plugs and gives you all the bare leads, labelled. You get a similar plug with your stereo, with a plug that goes into the back of it, and wires on the other end. Using the guide that comes with the stereo + the guide that comes with the wiring harness, you match the wires. Twist em together, leave lots of slack, and coat in liquid electrical tape, topped with wire caps.

This, of course, assumes your stock wiring is intact. Mine was a bloody mess, so I got Future Shop to do my stereo. I installed my father's unit in his Mazda though. Its the same for most cars, just different harnesses for different makes.

The radio antennna cable is standard, it just hooks right into the back of any unit. On an e30 you've got slack so you won't need an extension.

Have fun with the tunes! :driving

#4 ·
i got it installed its a kenwood that was in my dads volvo its brand new don't like the fact it lights up red but it will do for now. and the installation kit what i ment is there like a sleeve type of thing that goes in car and it looks it keeps the stereo from moving, but i just used the one that was for my dads volvo and it fit luckily cause like cars have different types of sleeves for different cars

#7 ·
My one recommendation is to bypass the stock BMW fader. That thing is definitely not designed for today's stereos. If it's set on mid point, about 80% of your stereo is pumping out the back speakers. It's an easy enough fix if you've installed car stereos before.

#8 ·
which wire is it?????????? me and my dad were trying to figure that out cause since bmw doesn't have a fader on these cars which wire is it??????????????????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.