Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Fox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
OK... are the m20 and m50 engines a dry sump system? Ive never been able to get any articles if they are or not but from the looks of the set up of my engine it looks like a dry sump. But on the e36 the setup looks a lot different but still similar to a dry sump. If it is a dry sump setup why did they put it in such an ineffecient place? It could be a lot smaller, lower, and more to the front for better wieght distribution and lower center of gravity. Anyone know?

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 05:54 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
I don't know those specific engines too well, but I can't imagine a dry sump system on a stock street car. It just doesn't make sense.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Fox

(Thread Starter)
Sure it does. Honda does it in most of their JDM and mugen motors. I figure BMW would do it too, if your gonna have a car that handles as good as possible, then your gonna want to have a dry sump so you have a lower center of gravity.
If you look at the bottom of an e30 the pan is mounted at the extreme front(bottom) of the engine bay and is only 5"x 5" x 5" Maybe its not but then again im just trying to find out

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking more in terms of engine reliability, because you get oil starvation issues with dry sump systems under heavy lateral G-loads. The race cars that use them have an auxiliary oil pump that pressurizes the sump to eliminate that problem, but it's a much more mechanically complex and therefore potentially unreliable system. you don't get enough of an advantage on a street car in terms of improved polar moment and such to warrant that kind of system.

just my $.02

#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Fox

(Thread Starter)
True.... ok... yea now it just bothers me why it looks so much like it. Bah i gotta go find a write up somewhere. Thanks trig

#6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Retired administrator

no prob dude

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)