BMW Werkz banner

Putting the Top Down

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Pauldoe 
#1 ·
Hi all:
Could someone post some step by step photos of putting the top up & down on an E30 convertible - I am afraid of botching the job! (Just got a '93 325iC and manual not much help). When done putting it up - shouldn't the shell cover be flush with deck lid?
Appreciate it.
P

#2 ·
i dont think anyone would take photos of it.... try it yourself dont be afraid.

#4 ·
hmm i have never had a convertable but it seems very simple.

if it is down. then pull it up from the back and connect it to the front..
to put it down just do the opposite....

#5 ·
If only it were that simple... there's a hard shell that has to go over and under the cloth top when it's dropped or deployed - keeps hanging up. Not quite as simple as the old VW convert...plus the assembly is tied into a rigid electric motor so if you force it.....

#6 ·
you've got an electric motor on it?

I've got an 87 235ic E30, which I guess could be really different from yours, but it's easy to put my top down once you get the gist of it:
1. unclamp from windshield, push front piece up just a little bit
2. once front piece is bent up, pull rear window piece up -- this should cause front piece to bend up more. pull rear piece up until there is enough room to lift the plastic cover (after pulling the cover release latch and then sliding your finger into the drivers side under the latch and pushing another release)
3. push the rear piece into the compartment which should cause the entire top to slide into the compartment. BUT - if while pushing the rear piece into the compartment, you see the top piece flatten out (like it is when closed), you must bend the front piece up again.

hope that helps, but it sounds like maybe it won't :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.