BMW Werkz banner

Projector Headlamps

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
So, everyone (or most) know that the '85 E30 came with sealed beam lamps installed. I was wondering what the difference, and the benefit, is to going projector on it. Furthermore, can the wiring, etc, be changed to accomodate the later projector system, or does it plug right in?

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
Im not sure what you have to do,but it sure would be a sweet noticable mod.DO IT!!
If you do it get some HID looking bulbs for it.You will love it. :bravo

#3 ·
they need to be wired there is a very noticable difference in lighting also.

notice how much whiter they are those aren't even aftermarket bulbs

#4 ·
I'm waiting on my euro ellips right now. I just got my euro grille over the weekend, and the lamps should be here in the next few weeks. I'm too cheap to pay for airfreight ;)

There are a few good articles on the swap, and mostly it's a little bit of wiring changes to get everything to light up when it's supposed to. One of the R3VLimited guys has a great writeup at his home page.

My '84 325e won't know what slapped her, but the facelift is gonna be pretty.

#6 ·
i don't belive the usdot you just plug in. he has sealed beams so his looks kinda like this | _ | with the projection lamps the connector is just to prongs and replace the blub not the whole light

#7 ·
You may be right, I haven't researched that side of things, as I am going euro with mine. If you are buying ellipsoid for a sealed beam system, just be sure to get the pigtails with it; whether cut wires, or new harness plugs, and rewire as needed.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Mad_Milo@May 25 2005, 07:58 AM
You may be right, I haven't researched that side of things, as I am going euro with mine. If you are buying ellipsoid for a sealed beam system, just be sure to get the pigtails with it; whether cut wires, or new harness plugs, and rewire as needed.
[snapback]347730[/snapback]​
i own both a sealed beam and projector beam e30 and they are NOT interchangable without having a wiring harness for 9005/9006 bulbs. Its completely different.

But if you find a good deal on projectors and have an old e30, ALOT of import vehicles use 9005/9006 combo light harnesses, you can find them pretty easily in any junkyard I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.