BMW Werkz banner

Power Windows, Etc.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmerpat90 
#1 ·
Over the last few months, I've noticed two problems develop with my power windows. On the driver's side, the window sometimes will go down about halfway, and then just stop. If I open the door, I'll hear a loud click and then I'm able to roll the window down the rest of the way. Coincidentally, the latch that holds the driver's side door is broken (if that makes any difference). On the passenger side, the window clicks loudly when the switch is held with the window already all the way up. What do I need to order and install to fix all of this, and how hard of a job am I looking at?

Also, in the "I want my car to look awesome" department, I'm considering getting this body kit to replace the stock bumpers and poorly painted aftermarket front spoiler. Does anyone know how difficult that will be to install? Also, what do you guys think I should do as far as the black trim on my doors and the black side mirrors if I install this new kit? And finally, my passenger side mirror seems to be losing its original black finish -- in every rain storm, you can see black streaks going down the side of the car. Should I just get some of that plastic spraypaint and re-spray it black?

Thanks!

#3 ·
That kit needs professional installation.
If you have an early car, update to plastic bumpers. Front's easy, rear will give you an education in bondo/body fitting technique. Not that hard, but I haven't done the rear (yet).
Take your trim off, and put some REAL paint on it. Like the SEM Trim Black stuff. There's a reasone it's expensive. Preparation, preparation, preparation. Unless you feel like doing it every year.

edit: oh yeah, you need new regulators, it sounds like. Take the doorpanel off, and watch 'em go!

#4 · (Edited)
I do have the earlier style with chrome bumpers. I would like to do a plastic bumper upgrade, but I'm unsure of where to acquire the parts and how to really go about doing it. If it's cheaper than that kit, I'd rather just do that. Maybe I can salvage my aftermarket front spoiler, or trade for stock spoiler + fog lights. I'll post a photo in a bit -- maybe you can give some extra advice after actually seeing it.

EDIT: Photos added. And yes -- that IS band-aid tape on the chrome trim. I haven't gotten around to ordering new clips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.