Power Steering system flush... suggestions? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering system flush... suggestions?

Hey all, I was doing some fluid inspections the other day and noticed that the Power Steering fluid looks like it is contaminated with water. I just got a new head gasket, thermostat, etc... so I may as well go all the way! Any suggestions on best methods/techniques to flush/fill the power steering system?

Thx!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Disconnect the two tubes from the rack, and let her go!! I'm not sure if that will drain the reservoir as well, though. If not, you can just turn the car on, and that should shoot the fluid out pretty good. sounds like fun... Hmmm....

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
okay, one more quick question... and it isn't as stupid as it sounds!

Would I use Power Steering Fluid or Brake Fluid?

I had a car (wish I could remember which one it is) that took Brake Fluid for power steering, so I don't wanna phuq this up!

Thanks!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear Member

SpooldUp will become famous soon enough SpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
Dissconnect the return hose to the resivour and run it into a bucket (you may need to attach a longer hose but dont worry its not really high pressure or anything)
An assistant makes the job a lot easier - you have some fluid ready and start the car, then procede to turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times, while the assistant dumps fluid into the resivour - keeping it full.
When the fluid coming from your return hose looks clean, shut the engine off and stop turning the wheel.
Re attach the return line and start the car again, and turn the wheel lock to lock again while adding fluid to top off - the system is self-bleeding. Easy as pie! Steering should have a crisper feel now.

As far as your fluid, I don't know. I know E36s use ATF in there but many cars use brake fluid. Check the manual or im sure someone in the forum drivin an e30 knows. Just don't get any fluid on the paint - it will turn a real dull grey color. Ask me how I know.

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

#5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Dexron or Dexron II ATF. From the Bentley Manual.

that is all.

My BMW Blog
#6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:58 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Beaker... as always!

Werd

Josh W.

Quote:

#7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear Member

i type a novel, beaker types 3 words and gets a thanks. i am so ftl.

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

#8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
LOL! No offense Spooled, and you are right, I didn't show you any love. As a result, I am willing to offer you a prize as an appology... You have your choice of either a used but functional Coil, or a used but non-functional driving light bulb! DAMN am I generous!

werd

Josh W.

Quote:

#9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsbeaker
Power steering fluid.

that is all.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90% of all BMW's take regular ATF for the power steering. I would recomend NOT using power steering fluid with your car.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Neutral Member

E30crazy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's320i
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90% of all BMW's take regular ATF for the power steering. I would recomend NOT using power steering fluid with your car.
+1

This is absolutely correct, for my e30 ATF is recommended.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

Exclamation

^^ oh. Don't I feel like the fuckin' asshole...
Guess it would help if I actually read the Bentley Manual instead of just assuming that power steering fluid goes in the power steering reservoir.
ghead

I'm so sorry for the misinformation.

p.s. Dude, I'm so freakin' embarassed. I apologize again. (I have to go apologize to my car that I've been feeding Power Steering Fluid to for 2 years) :

My BMW Blog
#12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear Member

The coil sounds tempting, but I could use that bulb. I'll have to get back to you on that.

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

#13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
It is done, but it looks like I didn't crank it back and forth enough to fully flush it out. Once I started it up (valve adjustment done so no typewriter under hood!!!) I checked the fluid, and it had clouded back up. I will flush it again next weekend and this time, I will do it RIGHT!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Josh W.

Quote:

#14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 PM
n00b

Moosepuck is on a distinguished road
HOLY CRAP....is that what that "ATF ONLY" label is on top of the res??>!?!?>!?>!! DUH... I just changed my rack, and of course put power steering fluid in it....looks like I've got some more flushing to do... Not to worry flipper foot, I had some air in mine directly after filling and purging....it cleared up after it sat for awhile and all is well (except for the use of power steering fluid I gues.......I get to do it again soon..... ATF...hmmmmm....wierd.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325eXTATIC
It is done, but it looks like I didn't crank it back and forth enough to fully flush it out. Once I started it up (valve adjustment done so no typewriter under hood!!!) I checked the fluid, and it had clouded back up. I will flush it again next weekend and this time, I will do it RIGHT!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Josh W.
Ah yes, the engine needs to be running to pump the old gunk out while you turn the wheel. Assistant is the key. Good luck!

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)