Power steering fluid level check - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tim96 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Power steering fluid level check

I have been having the occasional noise from the steering. I checked the fluid level by the dipstick on the cap of the resoiver tank. My question is where is the fluid level ment to be .. is it 1 between the two blue lines or is it 2 between the two green lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photography1.jpg
Views:	4429
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	28660  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Mines always at the top mark.

You say yours is making a noise they all make a slight noise when on full lock, or it maybe your belt is loose.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i mean like a groaning noise occasionaly. I have heard it about 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months and it does not occur at full lock.
My level is at the lower line of the green.
As i have to drain a bit more out of the trans could i just pour what i drain out into the powersteer. Both fluids (trans and power steer are red) but i have no idea if the are the same grade or brand etc
Is all trans fluid the same?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
when you check the fluid via the powersteer dipstick do you just place the cap ontop of the reservoir or do you screw it completely back in?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
screw it back in man, otherwise you geta false reading.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I just keep mine above the line, when I just place the cap on without screwing it down.

The hose to the power steering pump runs out of the bottom of the bottle and it isn't like the power steering fluid expands when hot or anything ... you can keep it full to the brim if you want with no ill effects.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM
n00b

ScottinAZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottinAZ
if its making groaning noises on you, the pump may be going out. Mine was doing this when cold and FULL. New pump, viola, no more noises
#8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 AM
n00b

Kennethdriley is on a distinguished road
You should use Dextron/Mercon in the power steering. And it sounds like your pump is going out.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
if the noise doesnt go away, get a brand new OE fluid canister as it has a filter in it and when it goes bad the system tends to groan, what causes this? i dont know but its the truth...happened to 2 of my E30s now

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethdriley View Post
You should use Dextron/Mercon in the power steering. And it sounds like your pump is going out.
No, you should use whatever it says on the cap. Some cars use Pentosin, though I'm not sure e30 ever did.

#11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 AM
n00b

jackjroadster is on a distinguished road
I hear squealing noises every time I turn my wheel to a full lock. I’m really a noob when it comes to car maintenance so I just applied the steps from this video about checking power steering fluid. I saw that my steering fluid is still good but after 3 days I heard a grinding noise and the steering suddenly stiffens. I can’t understand why, I followed the steps on the video. Maybe the steps there are incomplete??? What is the possible cause of that grinding noise if my steering fuel level is still okay?
#12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Check the belt to the power steering pump for its condition and tightness.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 PM
n00b

okay,i will try that later. hope it works.. thank you
#14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjroadster View Post
I hear squealing noises every time I turn my wheel to a full lock. I’m really a noob when it comes to car maintenance so I just applied the steps from this video about checking power steering fluid. I saw that my steering fluid is still good but after 3 days I heard a grinding noise and the steering suddenly stiffens. I can’t understand why, I followed the steps on the video. Maybe the steps there are incomplete??? What is the possible cause of that grinding noise if my steering fuel level is still okay?
sorry I forgot to include the video.I think the belt has a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)