power gain - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
driftin325s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to driftin325s
(Thread Starter)
power gain

is there any other way of getting some power out of the m2o without adding a turbo or supercharger i already have a dinan performance chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Better flowing exhaust (ie headders, etc.) +5-15hp, get rid of your mechanical fan for an electric aftermarket +10-20hp (kinda hard to find one that will fit), cold air intake +2-5 hp, ignition system upgrade +5-10hp, ditch power steering and A/C +10-20hp (makes driving suck though) If you want more after all that, you'll have to go engine internal. Also you can change you rear end for a lower raito too.

I never advise NOS, NOS is an add on for wussies (once your bottle is out, you are SOL), and the M20 motor doesn't like NOS to much, so make sure you build your motor up for it, or keep plenty of spare motors around.

Last edited by Starmavin; 09-14-2005 at 09:10 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:20 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Mavin... Any good recommendations for an electric fan for an E30? I have been thinking about that idea quite a bit. Any reduction in parasitic drag on the engine is a bonus in my book! You mention "kinda hard to find one that will fit" what are we talking about here, modify an e36 FAL (Flex-A-Lite) fan and shroud with a drill? Or are we looking at get a motor and blades, and create fan, shroud and all related connections?

Thanks!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 09-15-2005 at 01:23 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I kind of answered my own question... FAL has an application guide available which has most of our e30's in mind... download it yourself, (EXCEL FILE) or I can copy individual applications in text as a single line per anyone's request, but I can't copy the whole thing because the formatting goes away and it looks like a random jumble of numbers and such.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/index.html
click on "Application Guide" toward the bottom left side of the page.

Summit Racing sells the things, and the kit is $199.

Hope this helps!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 09-15-2005 at 01:01 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
I never advise NOS, NOS is an add on for wussies (once your bottle is out, you are SOL), and the M20 motor doesn't like NOS to much, so make sure you build your motor up for it, or keep plenty of spare motors around.
+1

also a lightened flywheel if you are going to drop the fan and some accessories out front. the two piece are sort of silly in my book and there is more than enough meat there on the original flywheel for any machine shop to remove and then rebalance the sucker without nasty side effects. not to mention that lightening a flywheel can run you around $50 to $100 bucks whereas that two piece is like what $600 or something recockoulus...

also if you up your ignition you could also up your fuel. i personally haven't looked into bigger injectors (yet) for the motor but that combined with an adjustable FPR is always another possibility

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 12:22 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
I forgot to add one other thing that will give your car more "pep", change your rear end ratio.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Neutral Member

draculia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I forgot to add one other thing that will give your car more "pep", change your rear end ratio.

you didn't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmarvin
Also you can change you rear end for a lower raito too.
its just like any other engine. if you want to stay n/a, stroke it, raise the compression, get some standalone management, and get some headwork.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
if you want to stay n/a, stroke it, raise the compression, get some standalone management, and get some headwork.
yeah, what he said. But you can't do this stuff halfway. If you do, you'll blow your engine in less time than it took to pay for it. Oh yeah, and you will pay $$ for that kind of work. As they always say...
The only limit to how fast you want to go, is how much you want to pay for it.
word.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Better flowing exhaust (ie headders, etc.) +5-15hp, get rid of your mechanical fan for an electric aftermarket +10-20hp (kinda hard to find one that will fit), cold air intake +2-5 hp, ignition system upgrade +5-10hp, ditch power steering and A/C +10-20hp (makes driving suck though) If you want more after all that, you'll have to go engine internal. Also you can change you rear end for a lower raito too.
Where did you get your hp gains info from? If they're from the manufacturers then they are way overrated. Exhaust gives you a psychological hp gain. Headers on a stock m20 are useless, fan delete will not give you 10hp let alone 20hp, the stock air box with K&N drop in filter is MUCH better than cone, upgraded igniton wires are also a waste unles your stockers are shot, the only thing on your list I agree with is the
rear, go with a 4:10lsd.

Honestly you are not going to make any real hp numbers from an M20 without going turbo or stroker. Do a Jim Conforti chip, 4:10 lsd and suspension.

2.8L M20 Stroker
#10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

drop accessories and go do some dyno pulls. droping the manual fan does have good gains. when the viscus clutch kicks in it is robbing horsepower.

we got in a big pissing match over this back in the day when i use to dub......we dropped accessories and when and did some dyno pulls, there is a very nice difference. and considering the cost, i put it on the top of my list for mods for HP gains........

and if dropping the fan was no big deal then why do almost all oldschool V8 guys drop it first off? not trying to start a pissing match or anything, but all he listed are gains.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egk2
Where did you get your hp gains info from? If they're from the manufacturers then they are way overrated. Exhaust gives you a psychological hp gain. Headers on a stock m20 are useless, fan delete will not give you 10hp let alone 20hp, the stock air box with K&N drop in filter is MUCH better than cone, upgraded igniton wires are also a waste unles your stockers are shot, the only thing on your list I agree with is the
rear, go with a 4:10lsd.

Honestly you are not going to make any real hp numbers from an M20 without going turbo or stroker. Do a Jim Conforti chip, 4:10 lsd and suspension.
<_<
These are from actual numbers that I estimated (not knowing his car setup) from my own dyno experience. I said headers "etc." not just headers alone, a full exhaust job has power gains of over 10 hp. Removing the stock fan has given me 16 full hp increase in the top end on my car, I found this by mistake while my car was on the dyno and I took it off for fear it would explode at high rpms (it is plastic after all). Cold air intake doesn't mean a "cone filter" sucking hot engine air, I mean a actual pluming from the valance ducted up from there or better yet taking out your drivers side high beam and have it ducted in. And ignition upgrade doesn't mean "wires", I mean a ignition up grade, the MSD 6BTM I have gave me about 20hp alone over my last ignition set up on my turbo bmw. Since his car isn't turbocharged, I had to be conservative with my numbers, but they are close to actual.

Last edited by Starmavin; 09-18-2005 at 09:41 PM.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 AM
77th Gear Member

Quick question for you Mavin....
I know the 6BTM is designed with boosted engines in mind, which would you recommend for NA engines? Just a 6A, or 6AL? I have been considering how to improve spark, and one option was MSD (which can be quite pricey) and the other was the "Plasma Booster" from Bavarian Autosport, which is fairly cheap by comparison. Any recommendations?

Thanks a heap, sorry to partially thread jack, but at least it is still on topic!!

Josh W.

Quote:

#13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Cold air intake doesn't mean a "cone filter" sucking hot engine air, I mean a actual pluming from the valance ducted up from there or better yet taking out your drivers side high beam and have it ducted in.
egg zak lee.........people don't seem to understand that really that K&N doesn't flow all that much better, and honestly doesn't filter for piss....you want a better flow then this is the way to go....i am doing this on the e21 that is getting the swap. but i am however retaining the stock air box so that she doesn't suck water when it rains as well as i am making it so that i can turn the intake plumbing down in the event that it is raining a bit too hard.

oh and Josh i rocked the 6AL, i recommend that one if you are going back and forth between the two. a rev limiter is mighty nice.......however i would like to hear about this other set up.....

#14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 PM
5th Gear Member

I take out the high beam lamp and duct it for 1/4 runs only, mine would be the passenger side relocated for the turbo. I don't advise leaving it out all the time of course. Heck, I wouldn't want a 24 hour bug catcher in my daily driver either. Not to mention illegal in some states....

The 6AL ignition is a great box, My early ignition setup was the MSD-6200 with an Accel Super Coil, stupid-simple to set up and some what cheap but when I went turbo, I knew it wouldn't cut it. After I decided to upgrade I was taking a long hard look at the jacobs ice pac. Costly, seemed to cover what I wanted but saw nothing towards boosted motor needs in the add. So I chose to stick with MSD. However, the jacobs pro street deserves consideration for NA motors.

P.S. I haven't looked at the ignition parts from bavauto nor have I worked with the direct hits plasma converters.

Last edited by Starmavin; 09-19-2005 at 11:11 PM.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
I take out the high beam lamp and duct it for 1/4 runs only, mine would be the passenger side relocated for the turbo. I don't advise leaving it out all the time of course. Heck, I wouldn't want a 24 hour bug catcher in my daily driver either. Not to mention illegal in some states....
yes i could see it as a bug catcher, that's why i am putting a mesh screen over the headlight hole.....i have some crazy rednecks i know in GA (they call themselves rednecks before anyone on here gets offended) that have deleted their fog on their four light grill on their GTI and daily drive with this fresh air set up in all kinds of weather with no problems.......but personally if i was turbo i would set it up so i could pull the hose for those rainy days, so i do agree with you star, daily'ing a set up such as this may not be the best.

however it has been done <_<

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)