BMW Werkz banner

Power Door Locks

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  moetinger 
#1 ·
I own a 1990 e30 covertible, parked it for a week came back and the door locks don't work anymore whereas they worked fine up until that point. I double checked the fuses and found nothing. I don't know if it makes a difference at all, but the battery died when I let it sit there.

Thanks

#2 ·
Heh :banghead you're gonna have one hell of a time getting those locks working if you have no battery power. When the engine isn't running, everything electric runs off, you guessed it, 12V battery power.

Sorry, I'm being a smart ass. I'll stop.

In all honesty, my locks have never worked, same situation as your car just that I don't know when they stopped. If anyone knows why this happens, that would benefit us both.

Start the day, however, with a fresh cell. Work up from there. :rock

#3 ·
The central locking control unit has a voltage protection relay built in sometimes if the car is jump started this relay "pops". Not as big a problem as you think the control unit is mounted above the right front speaker inside the "A" pillar take the speaker out above the speaker hole you'll see 2 screw heads slacken these and the unit will come out of the speaker hole.
Remove the units cover and re-solder the broken contact (lock's a bit like 3 prongs sticking up with solder on top) 1 of these prongs will have become detached this is what it meant to do the solder acts like a fuse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.