pop, ping sound when turning corners... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
(Thread Starter)
pop, ping sound when turning corners...

Let me explain a little more before people start to blame it on the CV joint. The sound is comming from the front end of the car (and since it's a rear wheel drive then it can't be the CV...) and I mainly hear it when I'm turning left. The sound has gotten steadily worse over the plast year or so...at first it was just one "pop" every now and again but now it seems to happen around every left turn...and somtimes over bumps or when I eccelerate real fast it will pop once when I'm still in first gear and the weight of the car shifts to the rear tires.....

any ideas of where to start looking? I almost think somethings just come lose and needs to be re-tightened like the sway bar or something....hopefully its that simple...

thanks!

She's a 89 325i...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Let's see, I'ld start by checking your shock mount bushings, if one is gone, it would sound like that, also, check to make sure your shocks are still good, could be another cause, and lastly, take a look at your shock towers for any signs of damage. (ie, rust, breaks, cracks)

Dave

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Sounds like one of your front spring pads is missing or worn through. I took mine out of my E21 to get it to sit a little lower and it did something very similar.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:14 AM
n00b

Morgenster is on a distinguished road
What about the control arm hinge? You don't want that to really pop out.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
is it lowered? if the springs are too short they will pop in and out of place of the spring perch as you go over bumps making popping noises also check the shock collar nuts, make sure they are both torqued down properly. every time you turn hard or go over a bump if they arent torqued down all the way the shock insert will ride up and down inside there and cause another popping type noise.

good luck.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
(Thread Starter)
No it's not lowered...she is stock all the way around.....I think I'm going to take my car and get an inpsection 2 done....maybe I'll just have them look into the popping noise along with everything else...

#7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
I'd advise checking the ball joints. When they wear out they can pop when turning. Just jack up the body of the car and take a pipe or 2X4, place it under the tire and pry up while watching the joint.

Good luck

Last edited by Starmavin; 02-05-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)