Please Help!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e30bmwes is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Please Help!!

So basicaly i broke the lever to open my hood but i need to put some oil in and get an oil change so does any one know any way i can get the hood open please help i really need to get this open thanx

Member of the: over 200,000 miles club
Member of the: 120mph in a 45mph club (beating 04 accord)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:58 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Get a long screw driver and look through your grill on the drivers side. You'll see a hole in a formed box with what looks like a flat head screw driver slot, push in and turn, it'll pop right open. P.S. Don't get near or lean your head on the hood while doing this.....
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Neutral Member

e30bmwes is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hey thanx for the help i really my oil light was on so i def need some oil thanx for the tip about leaning my head to close lol

Member of the: over 200,000 miles club
Member of the: 120mph in a 45mph club (beating 04 accord)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Does this trick work similarly on other bimmers? I've had the cable from the hood release break both on my E39 and on my E36. PITA

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:23 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
No, this technique won't work on those cars. I'll need to refresh my memory on those cars to tell you how.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM
n00b

BigLion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to BigLion
I broke the handle off the hood release recently (actually the wife had a lot to do with it, but that's another story...) but I found in desperation that you can still open up the hood if you can exert enough torque on the remaining stub. This has led to a sore finger a couple of times while I don't have time to get down to the main dealer to pick up a new one. If you really get stuck you can unhook the glovebox to access the [ex-] handle pivot point and hood release cable. If the hood has been partially opened it is impossible to pull hard enough to open it.
I didn't know you could open the hood up from the front... that's partly why I'm here
#7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 AM
5th Gear Member

I cannot emphasize more about the importance of oiling critical components such as the hood catch, hood and door hinges, door locks and locking mechanisms. Don't waste your time with white lithium grease, this stuff doesn’t penetrate, it just cakes on the surface collecting dirt making repairs a cruddy experience. Use oil, yes regular engine oil, this will soak in and provide very good protection. Oil squirt cans can still be found at parts stores and other places.

P.S. If things are really stuck you can make one of the very best home made penetrating oils. It can be made by mixing 50 kerosene and 50 transmission fluid. This mix is nearly as good as PB blaster, one of the best penetrating spray oils I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)