Performance? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ManiakMik's 325is is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hey guys and/or girls
my name is mik in from pennsylvania(USA). i just got a 87 325is, and im 16 so u guys know how crazy us kids are about cars. so .. i want my car to be agressive when it comes to speed and i think i can handle looks on my own.. but if u guys have and suggestions on performance i would greatly appreciate it!! thanks! -MIK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
there are some many options with what you said man, theres engine swaps, turbocharger, supercharger, whats like ur budget and how far are you willing to go???

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM
n00b

Redneck M5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Equipment upgrades are great but can be really expensive.

Since you are just starting on a long driving career. It may be wise to consider improving the most important thing in the car. That would be you, the driver.

Seriously, if you have a chapter of the BMWCCA near you you should join and do some autocrosses and a high performance driving school.

I did my first ones when I was 51 with my twin sons. They are 18. I know it made them better drivers. Me too!

One of your parents may like to go with you.

You can see and talk to the people and instructors. They will be happy to give you the real scoop on how to spend money.

Does everyone agree?

Redneck M5
#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck M5@May 9 2005, 08:29 AM
Equipment upgrades are great but can be really expensive.

Since you are just starting on a long driving career. It may be wise to consider improving the most important thing in the car. That would be you, the driver.

Seriously, if you have a chapter of the BMWCCA near you you should join and do some autocrosses and a high performance driving school.

I did my first ones when I was 51 with my twin sons. They are 18. I know it made them better drivers. Me too!

One of your parents may like to go with you.

You can see and talk to the people and instructors. They will be happy to give you the real scoop on how to spend money.

Does everyone agree?

Redneck M5
[snapback]342524[/snapback]
yeah i wanna go to driving school but i don't know where any are around here and i think there kinda expensive, but its probably worth it bout how much was it for 1 person redneck M5? and how long is the course?

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I'd definately agree.

Every 16 year old thinks he's superman... Learn to be a good driver on your stock car before you get a car that needs you to be a good driver.

Bondurant (the only local one Ive really seen) is 1-3k for his various courses and most of them are 1-3 days long.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:13 PM
n00b

Redneck M5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good questions ManicMik,

Here's my take, the schools aren't expensive if you take them through BMWCCA. Look up on google for the web site. That will tell you the closest chapter.

I am sure there several in PA.

It just so happens I live in San Diego. There's a chapter here and one in L.A. There's one in Las Vegas. One in San Francisco. In short they are all over.

Out here the schools are about $425 for two days on the track and classroom. On top of that you have to figure a hotel and some meals.

You also drive your own car.

There are other non-BMWCCA schools that are more and you use their car. BUt since you have one that will work. You can put the extra money in your car getting it ready.

But first things first you got to hook-up with your local chapter.

I hope that helps but they are fun.

Redneck
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

jze325i is an unknown quantity at this point
And then perhaps your brakes and suspension!!! 325is goes pretty nicely stock but could use a little help in the corners and brakes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	20391  
#8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
n00b

ichliebemeinebmw is an unknown quantity at this point
the first thing i did to my 325e was KYB shocks, stainless brake lines, performance pads, and i'm working on a stainless 2" exhaust, pretty much the easiest thing to do is start from the bottom and go up....it depends on what you like, for me i like high, low end torque and great handling for corners.

218,689 miles and still going
#9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:32 PM
n00b

xxxlegionaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill agree with everyone else in saying that you need to become a better driver before you tune up your car. Get involved in many organizations from scca to bmwcca to local autox's and maybe even take a driving class or 2.

Tuning cars is $$$, just learn that one real quick. You can get over your head in expenses if you dont watch out. Start with good brakes(bavauto has a goooood deal for rotors/pads), then get suspension work done. To keep expenses down dont buy a full coilover(or have one made) Youll be looking upwards aqround 1000+ where as you can buy springs and shocks/struts for around 500ish depending on where you go(bmp designs a great company.) Also check out sway and strut bars...they usually refine your suspension a lot if accompanied by great suspension. Wheels and tires are important too, get toyo proxies..their the most bang for your buck...around 85 a tire. Thats a good starter list, dont worry about forced air(turbo/super charger) right now because your talking thousands. Many sites like bmp design, bavauto and such have a good selection on NA tunning parts from cams to exhausts and such.

Check out www.howstuffworks.com and read up on how cars work from suspension to engines, to differentials and such. This will give you a good understanding of whats important...

Greg Heart
#10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Neutral Member

9x16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont underestimate him by his age.Im 21 and I think I am a preety experienced driver.I was never in an accident and I was crazy during 16-20.

Anyways,like other said start with the suspension,then brakes,and than engine.
Oh and dont forget to maintain it regularly.Dont ignore what the car needs.

89'325i(4door)
FK HiTec springs
Tokico HP shocks
Brembo X drilled rotors
PBR pads
Black hella's
K&N intake
Chip
AC Schnitzer styling(interior)
9x16 Remotec wheels
AC Schnitzer strut bar
Remus catback
#11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by 9x16@May 12 2005, 09:16 PM
Dont underestimate him by his age.Im 21 and I think I am a preety experienced driver.I was never in an accident and I was crazy during 16-20.

Anyways,like other said start with the suspension,then brakes,and than engine.
Oh and dont forget to maintain it regularly.Dont ignore what the car needs.
[snapback]343977[/snapback]
There are plenty of TERRIBLE drivers on the road who have never been in an accident. Not saying he is, or you are, but my x is a perfect example of a BAD BAD driver who has never been in an accident. Shes caused a couple though, she didn't even realize it til I forced her to actually turn around and look what her stupid _________ maneuver just caused.

I know I'm not the worlds best driver but I know for damned sure I'm alot better then most people on the road. But I still learned on a 1989 Nissan Sentra with manual steering, non-power brakes, and a manual tranny. Learning on a shitty car makes you have to anticipate more things before they actually happen. =P Having a fast car, makes things happen.. faster.. and a non-experienced driver may react that 1/10th of a second slower then an experienced driver and thats all it takes sometimes.

/end of rant

#12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The main thing I had stressed on me in training is awareness. Try to watch 360 scans of everything you can see all the time. It works wonders

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)