BMW Werkz banner

Park Brake Issue

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nick_318is 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, haven't been on in a while, work has been really busy and I haven't had a lot of extra time lately. Alright now down to the question.

I replaced my rear rotors the other day and noticed that one of the Springs with a pin in the park brake drum had come loose so I tried to get it back in its spot, I thought it was good and secure. This morning I left my place and heard a few clunks, my best bet is that it came back out and is making some noise. I got the noise to stop after a little yank on the park brake while I was moving. When i looked at the pin I think it looked like they went into the plate/heatsheild behind it and that the hole may have become somewhat mangled. If I change the plate/sheild do I need to remove the wheel hub? Are there other suggestions for how I can get this fixed because the clunking is not acceptable. Thanks in advance.

P.s. can someone change the title of the thread from Break to Brake! Its still a little early to think properly.

#5 ·
Alright so after I got home today I took things apart again to investigate the CLUNK and other noise from this morning and took some picture:

The Culrpit:

What it should look like:

Where it should go, notice the hole has seen better days:

an overview:

So i ended up just pulling the bolt since it came out anyway and i'm certain was the issue with the noise I heard this morning after seeing how it has become mangled. I put everything back together without it, no more noise. I will plan to order a new one and possibly a new backing plate, which by my best guess after looking more closely today is secured behind the hub and park brake drum. In the meantime I will continue to drive the car, anyone have any reason why driving it as it is could be catastrophic? The park brake isn't very effective anyway so i'm not too worried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.