Paint removal - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: E30 325i & E36 325i
Photos:
e30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
Paint removal

Hi guys, recently i bought one of those.. i think its an is rear spoiler (one of the very low profile ones...) and its red, but the paint is cracked and faded... i want to paint it black.. i want to do it myself.... my question is... how do i go about safely removing the paint without damaging the rubber? im afraid to use harsh chemicals on it. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i used an orbital sander with 400 grit sand paper, just to rough it up down to the primer and remove the cracks, then painted it with Duplicolor Black bumper paint, turns out gorgeous its kind of a semi flat black paint but its a flex paint so it wont crack...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Is it the factory rubber one?
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
e30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud of
yeah the factory rubber one. another question is... should I drill the holes and install myself? or should i leave it to professionals?
kyle.. 400grit??! well i guess with a sander that might not be so bad... but since ill be doing it by hand.... ill stick with 60 ill finish it up with some 400..but thatd seem like id take a beating and itd take a year.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
60?! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that will damage the spoiler, orbital sander with 400 grit will take you 5 minutes tops man...i wouldnt use 60 on concrete lol....250 is the lowest i have EVER used on body work and that was to fast cut through some bondo....

BTW invest in an orbital sander, they cost all of $50 lol...even if doing it by hand it wouldnt take long with 300-400 grit...you dont need to strip it all the way down, just rough it up enough to get past the cracks and down to the primer, then wash it off with some dawn dish soap and let it dry, then go to town with 3-4 light coats of the duplicolor black bumper paint...if thats the color you are using which i highly recommend because of its supahflyhotness

i have mounted spoilers before, not thaaaaat hard...easiest just to line it all up and just mark where to make your holes...not that big of a deal, just when making the holes dont make them much bigger than you need them to be as you dont want to promote leakage of water into the trunk

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 05-14-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
yes yes... 60 grit is WAY too coarse. I think i picked up some 300, or around there because I only had 150, 60, 100 and 400 lol. the 400 didnt do much... I think im gonna make my dad get an orbital sander, he said he wants one and hed get one.

question for this particula spoiler though... would the holes be drilled one or (very close to) the curve of the trunk? or more on the sides/flats.? ive lined it up and it seems like itd go in at damn near the curve.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
there should be acces holes on the under side of the deck lid through the framing. That should be were the holes go.
but I saw a template with the exact dimension and location of the holes in apost I think from OEmparts.com
Find this first cuz you proabbaly want to measure twice drill once LOL

'm going to do Krauts trick on m is spoiler ASAP that sounds like exactly what I wanted to do. the trick is to get good flexible paint that wont crack.
Mines black but wasnt sure if there is a gloss black available too. Either way if its strong paint I'll use the duplicolor stuff. Sounds like the fushizzzel. LOL

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
hmm i dunno, the last spoiler i installed was not the stock one so i dont know...seems like a lot of work for a stock spoiler haha

the duplicolor bumper paint is a semi flat black and looks fantastic on EVERYTHING lol....

x2 for the templates i saw it somewhere but im too lazy to look

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
first just let me say thank you guys. yall are teh uberbest.

and I sanded it, painted it, 4 coats and a clear top coat. looks pretty good imo.
probably will install tomorrow or the next day.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
doh, you use standard gloss paint with no flex agent? be suuuuuuuuuper carful with it, with heat expansion and cold contraction its probably going to crack shortlyeven the stock spoiler paint had a flex agent in it....and even it cracks over time...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
i picked up 2 11oz cans at kragen of "flexible bumper coating" for like $15.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
ohh fantastico!, my fault i assumed you used standard as you said there was a clear coat involved, i didnt know they made a clear flex paint sold at kragen...mah bahd dayum jeena

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
yeah. thanks for all your help guy! looks pretty good imo. i have a hate and love relationship with color contrasting.. i guess if its the right colors it does the trick.. i personally love red/black combo. ill have a pic up after i wash.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
i love color contrast

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)