Overheating - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gabrielpr12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gabrielpr12 Send a message via Yahoo to Gabrielpr12
(Thread Starter)
Overheating

I am having problems with my 1989 318i (euro specs). My engine is overheating very quickly, it was leaking coolant a couple of days ago, so I checked it and there were two hoses that were cracked, so I replaced them. But, the problem is still there. I noticed that the radiator hoses get extremely hot. I checked the fan and I flushed the radiator and put new coolant in it. What could be the problem? Could it be the thermostat, the waterpump or what? Please help a fellow E30 owner.

BMW newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
You could have an air pocket in your coolant system, but if it gets hot RIGHT NOW, then your best bet would be the thermostat. If it is stuck closed, no coolant would circulate.

Dave

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
which hoses are getting hot? can you post pics?

i too am leaning towards thermostat, but clogged radiatior is also a possiblity.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I can't post pics because I don't have a digicam, but it is the upper radiator hose the one that get the hottest, and the lower radiator hose gets hot but not as much.

BMW newbie.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
If you live near a shop that can do a cooling system flush, and you can limp it there, have them do a pressure flush of the whole system. When I had mine done a few months back, there was a noticeable amount of aluminum shavings in it. Not an OH MY GOD amount, but there were some, and if I had let it sit for much longer, I could be in that same position. If you can't drive it there, tow it there, because the service shouldn't cost more than 50 euro's and it is a good idea anyhow. But before you go there, take the thermostat back out of the engine, and put it into a pot of boiling water for a few seconds. Pull it out and see if the valve opened fully. If it DID, your thermostat is NOT at fault. If not, there is your culprit.

Hope you get this resolved quickly!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

try a thermostat first, it is possible that it is not working. i am also thinking about radiator being clogged, but need to rule out the thermostat first.....plus if that's what it turns out to be you aren't out much and you have it fixed.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
where in the engine, is the thermostat located and how do I remove it? I really can't drive the car because it overheats in about five minutes of driving. I would like to test the thermostat first, but I don't know where it is located or what does it looks like.

BMW newbie.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

try a google search for an online tech manual.....

if that doesn't work i will take a pic where it's located on my motor.....however yours may variy slightly.......

#9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I tried searching for an online manual, but I couldn't find a free one. Can you post a pic on where it should be located at in the motor and what it looks like? Thanks.

BMW newbie.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Again, I don't have a 4 cylinder, but this SHOULD get you close... If you follow your top radiator hose from the radiator back to where it meets the engine, you should be at the Thermostat Housing. 3 or 4 bolts/nuts (probably 10mm) will hold the housing to the engine. Simply take the hose off (expect quite a bit of coolant to spill out, unless you drain the cooling system first) take the bolts out and there should be your thermostat. A round plate with a spring loaded valve in the middle of it. Take it out and use the boiling water test on it.

I HOPE I am close on this one... any e21 owner want to correct the specifics for me please!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 09-21-2005 at 09:41 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

actually i will......you are totally wrong......

the thermo on these cars is completely different. it isn't on the block like our e30 brethern....i was looking into whether or not i could use the e21 rad with my e30 motor and came across this, now useful, piece of information.

look at the pic above.....you see the hose on the left? you see the metal piece it connects to at the far left (sort of hidden)? that my friend is your thermostat for these cars.

if i have mine you can have it, just pay me for shipping. i will check this evening.....

Last edited by DJProfessor; 09-21-2005 at 03:37 PM.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Remember guys, I have a e30 not an e21.

BMW newbie.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 PM
77th Gear Member

Thanks DJ for the correction! and I will be correcting the pic immediately!
Gabriel, it is still a 4 cylinder yes? If so, it is the M10 engine, and as such, this info will be "MOSTLY" correct!

Like I said, I will be correcting the above pic to support DJ's observations...
I am new to the BMW 4 cylinder world, so it is a bit of a learning curve for me as well!!

Here's to getting your car up and running ASAP! BTW, I have had a LOT of beer tonight!!! So if it doesn't get updated tonight... please forgive me!

Josh W.

Quote:

#14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Actually my engine is the M40.

BMW newbie.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member

if you have the M40 it will be in a similar location to mine in my e30.

Josh posted a pic of the M10 motor yesterday......will try to run something down for you in terms of locating it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)