Output Shaft? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Matty is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Output Shaft?

So I took my car into my local BMW Shop for unrelated maintenance, and of course they give me a list a mile long of everything else that needs to be fixed on her (85 318 with 212000 miles). Anyways, one of the things they mention is that my Output Shaft seal is leaking, which I kind of already knew. So Im going through the paperwork for all the estimates and it says I need a whole new Output Shaft and that it'll cost $700 dollars! Does this sound suspicious to anyone else? How likely is it that the whole shaft would need replacing and if so how difficult is it? Because I sure as hell donít want to pay that much when the car didnít cost me too much more than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
That is totally absurd. 700$ for less than 2 hours labor? Yes, something is very wrong there. It shouldn’t be that much even for a rear main seal...
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
n00b

Matty is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thatís exactly what I was thinking. I have gone to this shop for a while and they are great. And the mechanic just told me about a leaky seal, but the estimate includes the out shaft in the parts list at $484. It also includes the shift rod seal but thatís only $8. And it says it would take 2 hours. Would it take only two hours to replace the actual shaft? I am wondering if the girl who typed the estimate up made a mistake.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
The shift rod seal is not fun. I just replaced my friends last weekend and you should have the special tool for reinstalling it otherwise the chance of damaging the new one is pretty high. I work at a shop with all the special BMW tools and replacing that shift rod seal sucked. You have to take a part most of the shifter linkage so it is out of the way.

The output flange seal isn't that bad, its just an O-ring that goes around the flange and a radial oil seal in the diffcase. It can be replaced with basic hand tools, just follow the directions in the Bently. I would call the shop and ask them what their reason is for wanting to replace the whole output shaft.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
The shift rod seal is not fun. I just replaced my friends last weekend and you should have the special tool for reinstalling it otherwise the change of damaging the new one is pretty high. I work at a shop with all the special BMW tools and replacing that shift rod seal sucked. You have to take a part most of the shifter linkage so it is out of the way.
a very grateful friend for your assistance haha

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)