Ok, what gives now :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Danbot is on a distinguished road
Ok, what gives now :(

I've been having lots of problems lately. I have a 325i, 1989 model. It all started with a few stutters, in all gears, and all rev range. I went to the mech, and it turned out that I had a blown piston.

So, being here in South Africa, it was cheaper to buy a new engine, than have a piston replaced. I thought that was the cause of the stutter - BUT NO!!!

I have the new motor, but the stutter is still there!!! I've been racking my brains, but I cant find the cure. I've checked the afm, the icv, the dme, fuel pumps, the fuel filter. I've had the spark leads changed, the dizzy changed, the rotor changed. I've got new plugs, and a new cpu.

I NEED AN ANSWER!!! What might it be?!?! PLEASE!!! I'm at my wits end!! I WANT TO CRY!!!!!!:
Danbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Hey, are you sure that the "studder" is coming from the engine and not a chattering clutch? That may be a stupid question. They probably put one in with the new engine! What about the color of your spark? Is it good a white or blue, or is it yellow? It almost sounds like you may have a coil breaking down. Seeing as how you've checked or replace all of your secondary ignition components, you may need to look at your primary! Or for that matter it may be as simple as a broken wire making an intermittent connection to an injector or the igniton system or something like that! Does it do it mostly when it's warm, cold, dry, wet...etc... Give some very little details as to when and exactly what it does and when it doesn't do it and one of us may be able to better help you track down the issue! Don't give up man... it's probably nothing major just frusterating! We'll get it sorted out! Ain't nuthin but a thang! As we say here in ol' Kentucky.
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Let me guess, the car would bog down, sputter, chough and choke, blow black smoke out the tail pipe, and if you rev it some times it'll "clear" it out. Also it'll be very hard to start once in a while. Am I correct?
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^Jerk.

'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
What are you thinking... pressure regulator problem or a blocked return line or something?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I'm thinking blocked return pipe. Had it off the pressure regulator last night, and blew into it - had to REALLY blow like mad to get any air into it. How hard is it meant to be to blow air into the return pipe?Basically everything has been changed on the motor, including the motor itself, and I had the same probs BEFORE the change. The clutch is still the origional, and it was serviced along with the motor swap.

It happens in all weather, rain or shine, cold or hot, and its not at a set rythem, its just whenever it wants to, but it is constant ie. not giving a break for a minute.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have also changed the fuel filter, and that was bretty blocked up.

Last edited by Danbot; 07-17-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
If you take the gas cap off you should be able to blow into it rather easy.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I'm really at my whits end - I've tried all I could think of.

Anyone have any other ideas I should be looking at?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
How's your catalytic converter? You can't eat if you can't shit! I had one start to come apart on me one time and turn side ways sometimes thereby blocking the flow. I about pulled my hair out trying to figure that one out before it crossed my mind!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Ok now, going by what he said, it stutters at all speeds, hot or cold. The final thing I can suggest is that you have a dead or clogged injector. While idling pull a plug wire off and back on one at a time with plug pliers, this will isolate the cyl. Do this until there is no change, from there are 4 main causes 1. plug 2. wire. 3. cap 4. injector

Also check the main connector to the engine, I have found corrosion that'll kill an injector. Test these and let us know. And please be patient, I understand your frustration. Trouble shooting in person is tough but over the internet is 1000X harder.

Before I was figuring that the ignition control in the DME was on it's way out. I had that happen and it caused me all kinds of hate and discontent and had me chasing all kinds of ghosts. Plus the DME would check out just fine when tested. But this was intermittent and would run perfectly once and in a while making troubleshooting nearly impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)