Ok, "NO ONE" else can help....I hope you can! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TonySetliff is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead

Hello everyone, let me tell you about my nightmare.

I have owned a 1990 e30 325i 4 door creampuff for 7 years now.

A month ago my one and only key was stolen off a counter in a store.

I actually have the guy on tape and have filed a police report. The car is all locked up in my garage.

Anyways, I contacted my local BMW dealer "Hank Arron BMW" and they said "No problem, bring in the title and your license and we can order you a new key.

I flew there and presented my info and paid them $53.00 (I wanted the lighted key)
he next day he called me and said it was there. I flew to pick it up and when he handed it to me, it was this huge fat key with a solid square in it. I argued and argued with the parts guy that it was not my key and finally got him to research it.He had given me part number 51-21-1-954-400.

He claimed that when BMW of Germany made my car and inputted the keycode that goes with my VIN number, they put the wrong code. It comes up as a "BH" type laser cut key and my care does not use that kind of key. He said he couldnt help me and refunded my money. I then called another local BMW dealer and they gave me the same story. I even called accross the country to a BMW dealer in California, he was SURE I was getting the run around and said he could do a "fax" request to research my key code.

Two days later he said it was the strangest thing he had ever seen and he had no clue what to do other than the following ideas. All INSAIN!!!

1) Cll a locksmith "which I did" to have a key made They want $250.00

2) Have the car towed to a BMW dealer and have them disassemble my car and get a code that might be inside one of the tumblers.

My VIN number (verifyed) is WBAAD1319LED14305. "ALL" the info besides the title for the car is locked up in the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TonySetliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jtorres is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jtorres
Man that sucks. At least they've told you that they can't do anything about it. Not so for me....in february a valet dude in rosarito, mex. broke my key in half, then i lost my keys on campus. I went to BMW San Diego and ordered a key...and they sent me a valet key. So i returned it and they ordered me a lighted key. Well, they sent me the wrong key because they looked up the wrong code...or so they say. Anyway, after 6 weeks since this started, i'm supposed to pick up my real key tomorrow. Oh, and that lighted key cost me $45. Anyway, if its a regular key, without all the fancy chips and stuff i suggest this becuase this is what i did. While you're getting the right key from BMW, have a locksmith come out. I don't know why it costs you so much, so look around. This is what i did. My girlfriend is AAA car club member. One day they qouted $125, another they said it was $95. AAA paid $65, so I only paid $30. It took them 2 days and all their BMW type keys to make it work, but in the end they finally made me two keys. They're nearly the same, with a few minor differences. Somehow they couldn't just make one key, so i have one for ignition and one for doors. So yeah. Find a friend with AAA and have them hang with you while they call AAA to come make you a key. Then thank your friend. It'll save you tons of cash. Hope this helps.
jtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
heifetz17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to heifetz17
Man, I don't know where your locksmiths went to school, but here in Montana, it only costs under $15. I had an old Buick, and I had the entire trunk lock redone, key fitted, everything tested, all by the locksmith for under $20. Is it possible to order a blank lighted key from BMW? Then you could just take it and have it fitted.
heifetz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)