Ok, new here and need some HELP please lol - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1987 325is
Photos:
ElectrikaL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElectrikaL Send a message via Yahoo to ElectrikaL
Ok, new here and need some HELP please lol

I just bought a 1987 325is. The car is in immaculate shape, engine and everything. One small problem. It will not start. It will not crank over at all. Battery, Alternator, Starter, Wires, Plugs, all new. As far as I can tell there is no spark but the starter is hott for sure. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Thx for any help.
ElectrikaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Hi, bit confused here?? you say it wont crank over, so how do you know theres no spark??, does the starter make any noise at all?? you may not have put the starter in correctly.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
OK, the starter is hott is what i meant. I checked it with a voltmeter and it is good. It will not crank over at all. So I really dont know whether there is spark at the plugs or not but i dont believe them to be the problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 06 Ranger, 03 Accord, 96 m3 s52!
Photos:
k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
hit the starter with a hammer or somthing like that the seliniod in the starter is probably bad
k.sidlosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Silly, but did you check all your fuses.....? There is also a starter relay........& if it has an automatic trans, it will have a neutral safety switch.....
johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Hey new update on problems. We wired the starter direct to the battery. The car did crank over but did not fire. Then after we unhooked the starter from the battery the car continued to crank over when we turned the key. Then after about ten minutes it stopped. Now it will no longer crank over. Hope this helps. It is an automatic too. 6cyl. I'm not exactly sure what my next step is. I can see that it will crank over but why is it stopping. It should crank over everytime I turn the key. What could be controlling this? It also will crank over if I hook the starter back up to the battery. I'll be working on it at sun-up so let me know guys I also checked all the fuses but you can take all the relays out of the box and the bitch will still turn over. I've never seen anything like that in my life lol...first BMW too so.......... The fuses are all showing good. Everything electrical in the car works so the I know the box is good. This nuetral safety switch...where would that be? I would like to check that because my dad said the same thing but I don't know where it is. I have the wiring diagram for the car. Will it be listed in there? THX.

Mike

Last edited by ElectrikaL; 10-02-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)