oil service light 87 325 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
just a quick question for anyone who knows. just yesterday my oil service light came on. but i am not do for an oil change. i have another 2000 until i need to do so. but when i change my oil( which i have done three times already) i never reset it. Does it just need to be reset? also the last time i needed to change it the ligit did not come on but i did hit another 3,000 miles. any info would help. thanx. viali8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:43 AM
n00b

rrchiro is an unknown quantity at this point
You can clear your own service indicator lights by grounding lead 7 and turning the ignition to the on position for 3-10 sec. Make sure you ground at the wire harness near the front of the car. Take a look at the topic I posted and beware. Make sure you ground the correct wire and at the correct harness. I am still trying to find the burnt wire and can only start my car by using a jumper wire from ignition to coil. The service lights come on based on mileage, cold running, hot running, extreme rpm and other engine usage factors. It is not just mileage.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the info. i needed the help. have a good one.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
An oil service is different than a normal oil change. An oil service includes an oil change, adding a fuel treatment, adding an aditive to the washer fluid, checking the level of the trans and rearend fluids and topping off if needed, putting rubber conditioner on all door, trunk and hood seals, lubing all door, trunk and hood hinges, load testing your battery, filling the battery if needed, checking the conditon of the front and rear brakes, topping off coolant, checking all of the lights and replacing bulbs as needed, replacing the interior microfilter(if equiped), checking engine air filter conditon, checking for oil leaks, checking conditon of drive belts and checking tire air pressures including spare.

This is the #1 reason why the older cars start to fall apart. People will see the oil service light on and just get an oil change and turn off the light. If it was me I would pay to have the oil service done at your local BMW shop. It should be under $100 if your car doesn't need any extra parts. BMW put the service lights in their cars for a reason. If you constantly just reset the lights and don't do the required services don't be surprised if a bunch of stuff breaks all around the same time. If you take it in for regular services at a shop they will tell you about small problems that is easly fixed, instead of having something brake and then taking it to a shop and having them tell you it will be a lot more expensive.

I've been a tech for 5 years and a BMW only tech for a little more than a year and a half. I have seen the above situation numerous times and it could of been easly prevented by having regular services done by a qulified tech.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanx alot AJ. now i know what is needed when this light turns off. i was just going to change the oil and that was it. thanx for the info. Viali8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)