Oil service light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nap51dcrow is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Oil service light

Hello,
Just got my first BMW, its a 1990 318 Touring, and i did an oil change and now i cant figure out how to get the oil service light to go out. The owners manual only tells you to go to the dealership. I have tried disconnecting the battery. So what do you do to reset it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
quite simple, invest in:

Draper BMW Inspection / Service Light Reset Tool 51540 on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Jun-09 15:21:18 BST)

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

romeomike is on a distinguished road
Smile It can be this easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap51dcrow View Post
Hello,
Just got my first BMW, its a 1990 318 Touring, and i did an oil change and now i cant figure out how to get the oil service light to go out. The owners manual only tells you to go to the dealership. I have tried disconnecting the battery. So what do you do to reset it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin
If you have a paper clip, you can do this. I've reset them this way for over a decade with no issues, but first I give this caution:

While I have tried to make the directions as clear as possible, I cannot be held responsible for any damages due to carelessness or inattention to detail. If for some reason your diagnostic connector is not round, research the correct pins to connect, as they are both different.

The photo is from my 91, where the diagnostic connector is in the back of the engine compartment. On the 90, it's farther forward, but it has the same wiring. The paint is not on the metal terminals but in the vicinity for easier identification.

Do the steps in order, and the critical one is step 2. If you need a magnifying glass to distinguish the terminal numbers, use one. If you need to rotate the attached image so it resembles the setup in your car, do it.

1. Unscrew the diagnostic connector cap.
2. Bend the paper clip so one end is in #7 (due west on the outer ring) and the other end is in #19 (due north on the inner ring). If your connector is oriented differently, make the necessary adjustments -- the key is linking #7 and #19. Ensure you have good metal-to-metal contact between the paper clip and the wall of each female terminal.
3. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position. Assuming the Service Indicator board in the instrument cluster works, you should see five green LEDs fairly quickly as well as the extinguishing of the yellow and possibly red LEDs.
4. An inspection reset is done the same way. You just have to leave the key in the run position somewhat longer until that light goes out.
5. Turn the key to the off position, remove the paper clip, and reinstall the diagnostic connector cap.

Good luck with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiagnosticConnector.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	552.3 KB
ID:	28045  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)