oil pan - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 05:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dfw325e is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey everybody...quick ques: I have an 85 325e...e30...i need to replace the oil pan..it looks like there is room to take it off without lifting the engine..can it be done??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 08:33 PM
n00b

angryrobots is an unknown quantity at this point
Directions from the Bentley manual:

1. Drain the engine oil as described in Lubrication and Maintenance.

2. Disconnect the oil level sensor harness connector. The connector is located at the base of the alternator.

3. Remove the two bolts that secure the steering rack to the subframe.

4. Remove the four hex-head bolts and four Torx head bolts that secure the bellhousing reinforcement plate. Remove the plate

5. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts and lower the oil pan. Remove the three oil pump mounting bolts and lower the oil pump into the pan. Withdraw the oil pan with the oil pump.

Caution – If the oil pan does not separate easily from the engine cylinder block, a few taps with a rubber mallet should break it free. Never pry between the oil pan and the engine cylinder block with a sharp instrument, as oil leaks can occur if either is scratched or scored.

Installation is the opposite of removal. Thoroughly clean all the old gasket material from the mating surfaces. Install the oil pump as described in 7.3 OIL PUMP. Coat the mating surfaces on the timing case cover and the end cover with a sealing compound. Install a new gasket, and the oil pan and torque all bolts to 9 to 11 Nm (7 to 8 ft. lb.). Torque the steering rack bolts to 42 Nm (31 ft. lb.). Reconnect the oil level sensor harness connector. Fill the engine with oil as described in Lubrication and Maintenance.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM
n00b

325iconverted is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, those are the bentley specs. I removed, resealed, and reinstalled my oil pan in about 8 hours in the pouring rain (had a tarp). Not very fun. There are two tricky parts:

-getting the oil pan out - in order to do this you must move the steering rack out of the way which is doable but you'll have to continually move it back and forth as you're removing the oil pan.

- reinstalling the oil pump is *really* tricky, or was for me. There is a metal piece that slides into the pump and also into a tiny slot in the oil pan, and you can only do this while the oil pan is in place, but not bolted on. So you have to put part of the oil pump back in, then slide this metal shaft up into it, then put the oil pan back without breaking this shaft, then line up the holes without being able to see or feel it, then put the final nuts into the oil pump also without being able to see it...and if you drop the nut into the pan, well, you'll have to take it all down again. I tied the nut to my finger with a piece of string. keep in mind your hands are also covered in slick oil at this point.

definately doable, i'm a very much amateur mechanic, but tricky and will take some time. oh, and i assume you're taking it down to reseal it? if not, make sure you do reseal it...scrape the old gasket material off it (carefully without scratching it!) and put a new one on.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 07:29 PM
n00b

dfw325e is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanx for the feedback...i will definitly use the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)