oil leak/starter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TravisW is on a distinguished road
oil leak/starter

whats happening everyone? new to the forum here and after a bunch of searches and not really turning up what i was looking for i figured id go ahead and post here.

I just picked up a 90 325i today from a guy i did some work on one of his other vehicles. He didn't want to pay to have the starter replaced so he gave it to me. Here's the issue.

The starter is obviously shot. It has quite a bit of oil on it and when you turn the key you can hear that some of that oil must have gotten into it cause it makes a gurgling sound. I'm going to take the intake off to replace the starter and replace the valve cover and intake manifold gasket. probably do the water pump and timing belt while im at it.

Question is, there is quite a bit of oil and grime all over the motor. Would I be better served just to drop the transmission and pull the motor out? Or is there a particular place these cars leak oil from thats a known issue (i.e rear main seal, oil pan, etc)? It didn't leak a whole bunch when he had it until he had the oil changed last and the starter went out a few days after that. any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Travis
TravisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Lots of looks, no replies. No worries, figured out after taking the motor and trans out this weekend that it was the darn valve cover and oil pan gasket leaking. Neither of which i needed to remove the motor lol. I went ahead and cleaned the block, installed new oil pan, valve cover, rear main seals and intake gaskets(well the latter isn't on yet until the paint on the intake dries). I'm mounting the starter and a/c compressor.

does anyone know where to get the window regulator? i have the motors for all the doors but cannot find the regulators!

Thnx for looking
Travis
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
It seems no one had the same exact issue; but thanks for sharing the answer. Good luck on the window regulator.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
whiteshark, I have never seen this issue before either. And I've been a certified ASE mechanic for 14 years. When I poured it out, it started to overflow a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Oil looked almost brand new.

I got most of it back together. Intake should be cured here in the next hour or two. I can't wait to take it for a spin. Just wish I could get all the windows to go down. Atleast the sun roof works

wonder how much regulators run straight from bmw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)