off-delay dome light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
(Thread Starter)
off-delay dome light

Last summer my dome light surprised me...it would stay on after the doors were closed, but for only like 5-6 seconds. I'm sure thats what it is supposed to do, but now the light turns off as soon as the door closes. Last week it did the off-delay thing, but only once.

I'm guessing there's a off-delay/time-delay relay that's probably to blame for it not working anymore. Anybody know where I should start looking?

Not a big deal, I just like things to work like they were made to.

thanks!

She's an 89 325i convertible...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Under the driverside kick pannel speaker. Pull out the speaker and it's in the hole. High moisture area, so use a good dose of electrical grease.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Interior lamp control module. Like Starmavin said, its behind the drivers side front speaker. This is a somewhat expensive part at arround $90 so having the delay feature may not be worth the $90 to some people. There is also a micro switch in the door handle so when you pull up on the handle with the door still locked the interior lights will come on. I still need to fix this feature on my car but I'm waiting till I'm in there to replace the worn pieces in the door lock cylinder.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's320i
...so when you pull up on the handle with the door still locked the interior lights will come on...

That's a cool feature....mine doesn't do that, at least not any more.

yea I probably won't blow the $90 just yet. I think I'll get in there and make sure all the contacts are secure. Hopefully that fixes it.

I should give a little more detail...When I bought the car the dome light would turn off when the door closed (no off-delay)....it did this until I had (and yes I mean forced) to drive on a fairly bumpy dirt road off an on for a couple weeks. After the couple weeks on the dirt/canyon road the off-delay worked, for the first time and for the whole summer, it worked untill winter hit. But who knows why it stopped working. So I'm thinking if a bumpy dirt road could "jiggle" the thing to make it work, then maybe a contact is just lose.

Thanks!

Last edited by yammahamma; 04-17-2006 at 07:43 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
My 86 325es has a simular setup, when I open the door the light comes on like normal and stays on when I close it for a few untill then goes out but if I turn the key to start then it's instant off.

I would like to have it stay on for a bit longer, I wonder if there is a potentiometer that can be adjusted or installed, I'll have to buy a spare one and do some tests.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
4th Gear Member

WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
SERENITY NOW!

sorry, random seinfeld turretts

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
#7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardJ
SERENITY NOW!
"Serenity now...insanity later..."

#8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
just buy a DEI pulse timer. same thing, costs $5.

Can set the dome light delay to anywhere between 1 and 90 seconds with one, too.

Tis how I fixed mine on my e30.

#9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster
just buy a DEI pulse timer. same thing, costs $5.
What a novel idea...would you have to wire it in? or is it plug and play?

#10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

fporro is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to fporro Send a message via Yahoo to fporro
have a few of the oem timer relays, # 974 or # 975, $ 28 shipped.

cheers,
Frank
e30 parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)