Obc Thermometer Priblems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
I drive an 89 325i convertable and a couple days ago I was driving and noticed the on bourd computer said the outside temp was 138 degrees F --- since I live in northern utah and it's march then it's not very likely that the temp is above 40 degrees-------so there's obviously some kind of problem. I un-hooked the battery trying to reset the copmputer but when I hooked it back up then the temp started out realativly close to the right reading but then quickly climbed to 130 or so degrees F---I'd like to know the cause of this ---I pray that I don't need a new computer because I hear those can be pricey----help me please...

Old 03-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
You should check to see where the sensor is. The very end of the sensor should be getting a setady stream of fresh air. I don't remember if your car is like mine in the sensor location('89 325i coupe). My sensor is in the drivers side brake duct. I've seen it before at my work where someone will knock there sensor loose and stick it out of the way up in the front bumper where it gets no fresh air and reads way hotter. This sounds like what is wrong with your car cause if the sensor was broken it would read a negative temp, somewhere arround 20 below.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
make sure the sensor is away from the engine. if it is, you will need a replacement one... they are pretty cheap

or you could be ghetto, and subtract 100 degrees from whatever it says
Old 03-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
now I've removed my driver side tire and located the sensor-- how the devil do you get the sensor out?? do I have to take the brake off? or can I pull the sensor out?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Your sensor should have come through the bumper or air dam on drivers side. I would clean up the electrical connector at this point and even make a new connector (cut the wires, remove old female connector and then crimp some new bullet style connectors, any auto parts store, and put the two parts together)). I have done this on both fog and OBC temp sensors and solved the incorrect temperature problem.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)