O2 Sensors are high can i use a cheaper one - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
325ESMAG is on a distinguished road
O2 Sensors are high can i use a cheaper one

I need a new o2 but i don't feel like paying the 120 dollars for it. Which one can i use from a different car is the mustang because a while a go i found a webpage with it saying that
325ESMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Bacon

Car: '08 Rabbit / E30 325is
Photos:
dannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
ive heard of mustang injectors but not o2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
As long as you keep your car in proper running condition the O2 sensor will go 90-100K miles. So $120 for a part that will last 100K miles isn't bad. Also if you think $120 for the O2 sensor is bad what are you going to do if the fuel pump goes out? They are about $250 each and your car has 2 of them if its an early car. It may be an old car but it's still a BMW so parts are not going to be cheap.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Bacon

Car: '08 Rabbit / E30 325is
Photos:
dannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
As a lot were told before, if you can afford to drive a BMW you can afford to maintain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
easy guys... hes just looking for help... which model bmw do you have and year? im sure we can help you find the o2 sensors for cheaper... dealership =bad just remember that... they go for your wallet and thats the most expensive thing about owning a bmw is labor and buying parts directly from the dealership...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
easy guys... hes just looking for help... which model bmw do you have and year? im sure we can help you find the o2 sensors for cheaper... dealership =bad just remember that... they go for your wallet and thats the most expensive thing about owning a bmw is labor and buying parts directly from the dealership...
I understand he is just looking for help but if you keep cutting corners when trying to do repairs/maintenance the car is just going to turn into a turd.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
I understand he is just looking for help but if you keep cutting corners when trying to do repairs/maintenance the car is just going to turn into a turd.
Amen, no truer words have graced this board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
Im guessing by his name its a 325es which was only made for about 2.5 years, late 86 - early 88 so that kind of narrows it down

ES's FTW, mines a face and ass lifted ES

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 94 530i
Photos:
94BMW530i is on a distinguished road
No shame in wanting to save a few bucks... you can probably get it cheaper from Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW and they have a tutorial on how to install an o2 sensor on E30 and E36 models. I have been really happy with their service and advice.

Unfortunately my car needs two o2 sensors.

Last edited by 94BMW530i; 11-27-2007 at 09:22 AM.
94BMW530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Mountain Killer
Photos:
Pswirley has a spectacular aura aboutPswirley has a spectacular aura aboutPswirley has a spectacular aura about
I have heard of using Ford Econoline Van o2 sensors on an E36 but I have no idea on your car.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 97 328i 5-speed
Photos:
Winter has a spectacular aura aboutWinter has a spectacular aura aboutWinter has a spectacular aura about
do it yourself electrical work

Im in the same situation. Since I dont have a money tree in my backyard, Id rather pay as little as possible myself. Ive seen em for 40 bucks without the plastic connectors. You have to splice em yourself. Question is, what problems will arise from that? Dont have that answer. KO performance was selling the whole thing for $87 last time I looked.

~At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.~

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
if you look around hard enough you can find them for pretty decent... got a couple not too long ago for 74 bucks a pair, bosch brand new
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
325ESMAG is on a distinguished road
No my car won't turn into no turd. And my Car is a 86 325es
325ESMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
I know I've posted this before... all oxygen sensors function the same... the differences are going to be heaters, ground type, and connection type. If you can find another O2 sensor that has the same wiring config (heater, ground) you could just solder on your old connector. I've done this before on both Volvo's and on a Toyota p/u. Worked like a champ, I think I used one for a Chrysler product of some sort. The only thing is that you'll need a wiring diagram for your vehicle and the vehicle that the O2 sensor was intended for. Good working knowledge of a DVOM helps too. Considering that it will probably still be $50 for the other model and a good bit of work to boot... I would go to autohausaz.com and buy the OEM one for $110 with free shipping. I buy alot of parts from them and they have great quality oem brand parts for less than most of your run of the mill discount parts house.
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)