BMW Werkz banner

Is this normal?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hamann 325i 
#1 ·
I have an 84' 318i. I've had the car for about 2 months and never really did any proformance testing. Well today I desided to run it up my driveway (I have a level, almost 1/4 mile driveway that is paved). I ran it in first gear, and it did 40mph @ 4k RPM's (NO JOKE). Is this normal? I thought in the 318 was supposed to top out at 30mhp @4k? It has absolutly no proformance mods. Stock air intake, and stock exhaust. I was impressed. Thats all. -Dan :driving

#2 ·
wow you must have a really tall rear diff, check any service records and see if the original diff ever blew. is yours the 3speed auto or 5speed manual?

if you give me your production date i can find out what your original diff ratio was, and if you give me your tire size (195/60/14 ?) i can calculate what your current ratio is.

#3 ·
All I know is that its a 1984' 318i. I am looking in my service manual now, trying to find a ratio. I just thought it was kinda fast for 1st gear. And I have allot of service reports that I'll go through when I have time. Then I'll get a better Idea of how my car was taken care of for the past 18 + years. My tire size is 195/60/14". Thanks man! -DAN :driving

#4 ·
open the drivers door and look to the right (not on the door but on the frame of the car) near the seat, and it should tell you the production date. but i really think your speedo is very off, going 40 at 4krpm in 1st would be like having a 1.60:1 diff which is insanely tall

#5 ·
DAMN ... u lucky .. hehe j/p i got a 1987 bmw 325e .. 5 spped manual but i could onli like top off at 25 mph wit 1st gear .... i was like shit... but the 2nd gear of my got the most power... i could feel it really good . in my 2nd gear i coudl go from 10 mph to 40mph in like 2 to 3 sec.. pretti quick..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.