No Spark, help get me get it running. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rebar is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Arrow No Spark, help get me get it running.

Okay, I am new to the BMW world and new to the forums.

One of my friends have a 1986 BMW 325 and I took it out for a ride and it was love and first drive. After a few months of looking I found one that had been parked for 5-6 years. The timing belt broke and bent two valves. It was a steal since I got it for free just had to fix the guys truck's wiring issues.

Well, on to the issue. I have torn it down and rebuilt it from the block out/up.
After getting the engine back together I sat down prayed and turned the key. It just turned over with out cranking. A few not so nice words later, I started checking to see if I had fuel to the injectors, Yeah. Checked to see if I had spark, nope. I replaced the wires, still nothing. I replaced the Ignition Coil, got some spark, but it is not steady and now I am getting nothing again. I had already checked the relays. I am getting 12v to the coil.

I got it to run once, but I do not have the radiator in for a little more room. So I turned it off. It ran for a good 3-4 min, bother-in-law came over and said hey crank it up I want to hear her. Nothing just the same old turning over.

I am getting spark every now and then. I went to the local junk yard and got a used Electronic Control Unit. I was taking it out and found out that someone had messed with the wiring. I know it goes to the coil, I have traced it back but the bigger Green wire has a inner and an outer wire. not sure how to hook this back up.

Any help will greatly come in handy. I have checked on other forums and they have all failed me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1120111827.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	29904  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Have you tried a new coil? Make sure it's earthed well and test the "Low-Tension" wiring to the coil...
This might sound silly but, does the engine-block have a good earthing strap to body attached?

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Dabsy, I have checked it all and after about 3 hours of reading these forums everything went back to the relay. I saw in a post to use jumper wires to check to see if it was working right. Well it was not, I guess someone was messing with them and placed the wrong relay in that spot. I have looked all day today to see if I can find the Relay part number but I have had no luck. So, if anyone can step out to their car and write down the relay part number or where I can find it at PLEASE DO!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Fixed

Well after finding the part number for the relay, I was able to get her to run. She cut off after about 10 secs but I had a lot unhooked. I have to say that after reading these forums I will not be using another one and will lend my help any way I can. I am new to the BMW world but I have just about gone threw my 1987 325e. Will post some pictures when I get her out of the shop and washed. " if your around Northern SC and you want to paint her for me hit me up"
#5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz and well done.

Another usefule resource for your part numbers is the RealOEM web site.
RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

Its always good to have someone experienced onboard as a new member.

Riding in style
#6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

Well I took her for a drive around the yard today. Just a few minor things. I had a ticking under the hood. I just had to readjust one of the rocker arms. Then I found out my speedometer is not working, so crawled under it and found a small trans leak on a trans cooling line. So if anyone happens to read this and knows what could cause the speedometer not to work, please let me know.

Well off to reading up on the speedometer.........OH WHAT FUN!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wheel speed sensor? Okay, before I post something stupid again I will make sure I am not so tired. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)