Newbie E30 Questions... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
AutoXinVR6 is on a distinguished road
Newbie E30 Questions...

I know nothing about BMW's...

Is there a site where I can find out who makes and what transmissions and motors came in the different E30 models?

I'm looking to use an E30 the base for a motor/tranny swap for something that would probably be considered sin in the eyes of you guys... haha

I anna get details information about the different motors/tranmissions in each car year by year, who makes 'em, and some specs, like input shaft spline numbers, lenths, gearing... ect...

If there is no site, then I will just ask... haha

sorry for being a newb

Last edited by AutoXinVR6; 01-07-2007 at 10:54 PM.
AutoXinVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
some good basic info
BMW E30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ask around here too
Bently has great info maybe some one can send or post the info from this or
thers a few other good books on E30's that have detailed info too
check other forums too e30net R3VLimited etc
good luck
why not S50 or S52?

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
why does everyone have such a stiffy for the S50/S52? lol

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 86 BMW 325
Photos:
jfertita is on a distinguished road
this is off topic but i was just wondering, how often should the timing belt be changed in an E30? i bought the car a little over a year ago and i havent gotten it changed. it says the last time it was changed was like 5 years ago, should i get mine changed pretty soon?
jfertita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: E30 325i & E36 325i
Photos:
e30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
i believe the recommended mileage is every 60k miles. youre probably due depending but id change it just to be safe.

i believe sin would be swapping a Ford "Zetec" engine into it.

we would beat and stab youwith the blunt end of a pool cue.

Last edited by e30dream; 01-08-2007 at 07:57 PM.
e30dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30dream
i believe the recommended mileage is every 60k miles. youre probably due depending but id change it just to be safe.

i believe sin would be swapping a Ford "Zetec" engine into it.

we would beat and stab youwith the blunt end of a pool cue.
No no no... It's still gonna be a german motor.

haha just trying to figure out if the stock tranny can be made to work with the motor i want to put in... IE clutch disk size and how many splines ect.

If not I will just use a T5 tranny and custom driveshaft.

Did any of the E30's have an LSD rear end besides the M3? How can I tell from the outside if I was looking over the car.

btw, the Wiki was awesome, helped me learn a lot about what to find in each of the different years. I'm gonna go search on wtf a s50 and s52 is... haha

Thanks for the great info so far.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
So after reading a bit... The s50 and s52 motors are M3 motors yes, maybe?

At the moment I don't even plan to use a BMW motor...

As soon as I figure out what I'm doing with the tranny side of the car It's gold... All I need to figure out right now is..
1. BMW tranny or T5
2. clutch disk and flywheel sizing.
3. How exactly to make the adaptor for the motor to tranny
4. How to hook up the speedo (that depends on what tranny I use though)
5. What needs to be done for the driveshaft.
6. Then other retarded minor details like power steering, coolant hose routing, other crap.

buuuuuut the project is still in the research/planning stage so I'm trying to absorb everything I can about the transmission and chassis side of the E30.

Last edited by AutoXinVR6; 01-08-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: E30 325i & E36 325i
Photos:
e30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud ofe30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
someone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure the e30 "iS" models came with LSDs and it was an option on the i models?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
OK, let's see if I can help...

As far as LSD's go, they were a standard on several models, if not all. My baur had one.

s50 and s52 are engine codes for motor out of i believe, the e36 and e46 models (Alex, Kyle, Pieter, correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as motors go, take a look at bahnburners e30. He has an m10,(out of a 318) spooled and built, putting down like 250whp on a 4 cylinder.

As far as the clutch pack goes, try to get a realistic idea of your hp projections beforehand, so you don't get something undersized.

For a bellhousing adapter...I have no idea. I would suggest sticking with the matching tranny for your donor motor, and just beef up the pertinent details.

The driveshaft will most likely have to be custom built, unless you use the full engine/tranny combo. If not, then any reputable machinist shop should be able to build one for you.

Hope it helps,
Dave

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon

As far as LSD's go, they were a standard on several models, if not all. My baur had one.
So what about an 89 325i... factory LSD? Whats a Baur? How strong are the factory rear ends??

Quote:

As far as motors go, take a look at bahnburners e30. He has an m10,(out of a 318) spooled and built, putting down like 250whp on a 4 cylinder.

As far as the clutch pack goes, try to get a realistic idea of your hp projections beforehand, so you don't get something undersized.
Didn't even plan on using a bmw motor right now. looking to eventually make around 300whp. The flywheel on that motor is a 228mm flywheel, which is about 9in so I could use the factory e30 tranny with a 10 spline 228mm clutch disk (I read the factory e30 one was 215mm, M3 being 240mm) The clutch/pp set up should work.

As far as the bell housing, that would have to be custom made, but not too worried about that... I'm planning this with a buddy of mine who stuck a 350 in an old beetle (in the front not the back.. haha) and is now planning a mid engine LS1 into a Porsche 914... heh So we'll get that figured out so we can keep the factory starter, slave and clutch fork positions.

If the stock bmw tranny doesn't work, I can always use a T5. I know the T5 has been made to bolt up to the motor in the past

Quote:
The driveshaft will most likely have to be custom built, unless you use the full engine/tranny combo. If not, then any reputable machinist shop should be able to build one for you.
If I can use the stock tranny then the motor should fit without having to move the stock trans location so I can keep the stock driveshaft. how strong are factory driveshafts?

If I have to use the T5, it'll prolly push where the driveshaft mounts up so the driveshaft will have to be shortened and have a slop yoke welsed on then rebalenced...

You guys may know about this site... But this was show to me on another website.
RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog
It's been real helpful in figuring out a lot of the other stuff on my mind.

Thanks for all the help so far. This forum by far has been the most receptive to my newb questions. It's nice to not have a few retards popping in and making a newb 'search' comment.

Keep the good info comming

Last edited by AutoXinVR6; 01-09-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Baur is a company in Stuttgart the modified several models right out of the factory. The 325i should have an LSD.

I honestly don't know how strong a factory driveshaft is from a bimmer. TEst is and find out, what is there to lose?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yeah... haha I'll need an extra factory 325 tranny and driveshaft to blow up then...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
nah, just a clutch. I highly doubt you will ruin a driveshaft, it takes phenomenal torque to bust 'em. My buddies Cummins has around 1200 ft lbs on a 3.75 driveshaft, and it ain't gone yet.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
OK, let's see if I can help...

s50 and s52 are engine codes for motor out of i believe, the e36 and e46 models (Alex, Kyle, Pieter, correct me if I'm wrong)

For a bellhousing adapter...I have no idea. I would suggest sticking with the matching tranny for your donor motor, and just beef up the pertinent details.

Hope it helps,
Dave
(S50 = OBDI E36 M3 3.0L) and (S52 = OBDII E36 M3 3.2L)

in e30s, all the S cars (es/is) had LSD and most if not all autos did also...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
(S50 = OBDI E36 M3 3.0L) and (S52 = OBDII E36 M3 3.2L)

in e30s, all the S cars (es/is) had LSD and most if not all autos did also...

meh, i was close. thanks for the correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)