new owner small issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nedmanders is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question new owner small issues

i just got an 1987 325e about 2 1/2 weeks ago I got it from someone off craigslist. He wrote down some things that need to be fixed for me, all smaller things. Sunday someone replaced the thermostat for me cus the car was overheating and it fixed it. the heat sort of works now, didn't before then. He said it's the heater blower relay but I am figuring it was just the thermostat. Don't know if the defroster works now or not I haven't had to try to check it yet. He also said that whatever it is with the heater blower that if the car sits for more than a few hours at a time to disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain. I didn't do that Sunday night when I got home so Monday when I went to leave for work(about 18 hours later) it almost didn't wanna start but still did so I still disconnected it last night when I got home from work cus I don't work til tomorrow night.

He also disconnected the high beams so that when you drive with the high beams on the low beams will work cus they aren't working but I am assuming that that is just the bulbs or w/e need to be replaced which I will get around to this weekend.

The only other thing that is a concern(The other small things are not anything that I am unsure of what to do to fix them, those are all cut and dry)is the spedometer works off and on. The tac works fine always though as does the temp gauge and the gas gauge both work fine. the only other one that doesnt work at all-doesn't even move ever-is the pedometer which I would really only like so I know what kind of gas mileage I am getting just out of curiosity. But the spedometer I really would like to fix as it is annoying to have to drive around with it not working right.

the last thing is that it has no rust on the body cus it was a california car up until about 9 months ago but it does have some paint spots that have came off as well as some scratches and the paint is kinda dull. I know people who can paint it for me if I got the stuff to do it with I just don't know what kind of paint is good for the value(cheap and will look okay, nothing perfect) and what type of paint to use. I have read people saying they have used house paint from home depot but I don't see that that is very good to use for a car. The paint I am not worrying about til the other things are fixed first. I'm just really curious.

The interior has seen it's better days as well. I got seat covers for the front seats but my seat bottoms in the back are not there at all.

But it drives great and no real horrible problems. Just a few physical things and then the couple of minor issues(or at least I am thinking they are minor) He also said the spark plug wires will need to be replaced but I don't have the hundred bucks right now for that and it was towards the bottom of the list of things as far as what needs attention when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
silversled can only hope to improve
that sounds to me as though you bought a piece of junk and it will be nothing but a pain. If you want to bring it down to chicago i'd be happy to look/go over this thing for free...sounds like trouble to me based on what you have said....I gotta go now though...state of the union address is coming up. this is very important stuff here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)