New head or rebuild... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Majin is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
New head or rebuild...

I finally got my car into my garage last week, Was working on it yesterday and have the intake manifold, valve cover, and other things removed already. It was my timing belt that went out since I can see it is broke into 2 and I have 1 broken rocker arm on cylinder#4 on the intake side. Everything else from what I can see looks ok. If I were to rebuild the head do I only need the rocker arms, springs, and valves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear Member

JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
I would get it checked out just in case, make sure its straight and have the shop to a compression test.

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
(The voice of experience)

If you are going to rebuild, get rid of all the rocker arms! The ones that didn't break are stressed and aluminum doesn't like stress. Sooner or later they'll break and when they do you HAVE to pull the head to change them. It isn't worth the risk. I'm sure someone will come one here and tell you I'm wrong and how they went with out changing all of them. I can tell you after fixing 5 motors with broken arms after someone rebuilt the head, that it's luck they are riding on....
#4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
(The voice of experience)

If you are going to rebuild, get rid of all the rocker arms! The ones that didn't break are stressed and aluminum doesn't like stress. Sooner or later they'll break and when they do you HAVE to pull the head to change them. It isn't worth the risk. I'm sure someone will come one here and tell you I'm wrong and how they went with out changing all of them. I can tell you after fixing 5 motors with broken arms after someone rebuilt the head, that it's luck they are riding on....
haha the voice of experience... listen to this guy... he knows what hes talking about, this kinda sounds like your listening to some godly figure haha
#5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
my motor is almost exactly identical in terms of what went wrong and I'm saving the trouble and just replacing the head.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)