new to forum bimmerphile since '92 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 04:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e30Slave is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi, thanks in advance for any relevant info on this no start problem that just gets more and more mysterious. had a fuel pump go(possibly something else as well) Now have a used but working(as best I can tell) pump. My car has only one in tank pump. Car turns over strongly but no start. Spark tests good, just cannot get the fuel pump to run unless I connect it directly to the battery. With the relay or a jumper in place I blow a fuse every time. Have established continuity between relay socket that goes to pump and connector and resistance test read zero resistance. Have good ground at connector. Pretty much ruled out ignition switch, ruled out errant code issue from OBC. Main relay seems fine. Can't test fp current draw because of blowing fuses.. Idle air stabilizer valve seems OK, as well as injectors. In the bentley manual electrical tests for the fuel system(at the motronic connector) everything checks out except the full throttle switch (related? or an adjustment thing) and the "FP relay control" (test blows the fp fuse as well) Air flow sensor and potentiometer seem fine. Have I missed something? Unfortunately real low on money so I'm limited in what else I can replace to solve this (for now). Has anyone had this problem? I'm stumped- and this is weekend three without the whip..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
is the fuel pump for ur exact car, what brand is it? where did u get it? it sounds like a short. did u wire it up correctly?

welcome to the forums!

Mark
#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
what yr/model is ur ride?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
n00b

e30Slave is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
it's an '89 325is w/ some typical mods. The fuel pump came from a junkyard so even though I have heard it run I cannot say for sure what condition it's in. Seems like a short somewhere but the bentley manual-as exhaustive as it is- doesn't get specific enough with the late e30 models for me to figure out where a lot of the wiring goes. Thanks for the reply!
#5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
If you could... and I dont exactly know if you could or not... I'd back trace every wire from your fuel pump to the battery... and make sure there is no shorts... or exposed wire touching any where... that would cause it to blow fues all day long..

And are you sure your using the right Fuel pump... if you have a different one.. it might take more or less power draw from the power source.. which would also blow fues all day.

I'd make sure that all the connects on the newer fuel pump are clean... dirty connections can have a major roll in having a short.. and not exactly getting the right amount of power to a component.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 02:47 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
I don't know what year fuel pump you have but it makes a difference. In November of '87 there was a change. The part # for the pump you should be using is 16 14 1 179 992.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)