New E30 - 91 318i, Need Suggestions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Agent Orange is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought my first BMW . Picked up a 91 318i with really low KMs for a decent price.

It's totally stock. The thing was owned by an old couple, and barely even driven. I want to dress her up a bit, but it's the first decent car I've had, so I'm not even sure where to start.

Only thing catching my eye at the moment is some nice shift knobs / E brake handles, and possibly some new foot pedals.

I can't really afford a spray of body kit right now, so I'm trying to see what I can do to make her look sportier without going to that extent.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

PS - my front spoiler has holes that look like they should have fog lights, but don't have any lights in them - is this normal? Where can I get lights to go there if not?

Thanks in advance
Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

Car: 00 M Coupe
Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Welcome to BMW-Forums first off.

your car is very nice, and its awesome that its in good condition. the fogs lots not being there is perfectly normal for most 'i' cars, you can get fog's for them, but they arent necessary. For things that you could do(and their likely prices(ive delt with this alot, so they are pretty accurate)):

Looks:
Shift Nob: 20-80$
Ebrake Handle: 30-50$
Pedal Set: 60-110$(for a nice chrome set your looking at closer to 100 or 120$)
iS front lip spoiler:search ebay, you can find them for under 120$

Performance/Making it look sporty:
HR Springs: 250$(will lower your car and increase performance very well)
Ireland Engineering Stage 3 Springs: 270$(will lower, and give you the best performance from any springs)
Bilstein sport shocks: Roughly 400$(pending on your dealer), this will increase handling significantly(best when combined with IE Stage 3 Springs)
IE Sways 25/22mm: 400$(will increase handling ALOT, but will not lower)

Now, if i were you, and wanted to make my car look a little more sporty and handle a bit better, the IE Stage 3 springs and Bilstein Shocks combo would be the best way to go, and to get the best pricing, you would want to visit: SEAMbmw.com

They will have the best pricing for you.

Good luck on your car, and your future modifications, everyone here is pretty friendly and would be more then happy to help you with making decisions.

Welcome once again.

-dan

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
spiff325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
Here are some other places to look for things to do to your car:

bavarianautosport.com - perf and OEM parts
bimmertoys.com - perf parts
roadfly.com - classifieds
turnermotorsport.com - perf parts
mmsport.s5.com/e30.html - looks
bmw2002.com - perf parts
bmpdesign.com - perf parts and looks
bmwengine.com - need a new engine?
e30.de
lowendesign.com (dont recommend this, but its a good site for pictures, do not purchase anything from them.) - good for pictures
ronalusa.com - good rims, i recommend the LS's..mmm 225's...drool
corbeau.com - seats
racingdynamics.com - perf parts
sparcousa.com - perf and accesories and apparel
uucmotorwerks.com - perf parts
bekkers.com - perf and accessories

hope this helps

Old 02-20-2005, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the info - I've been poiking around bav auto and a ocuple of other sites, but I can't find any decent suppliers in canada.

I was also wondering, with the lip spoilers, and with and body kits/ wings, am I right in thinking you basically have to put them on and respray the whole thing? The car is a metallic light blue ( I think BMW calls it glauschenblau) and all the parts I see as addons are all black or white, and require painting, but it's hard to match old paint , even though it's not very bleached/faded.

I appreciate the info on the suspension. When I get the cash, I'll prolly go for the IE/Bilstein combo. I was looking at lowering the car anyway.

I'll have to poke around those sites you gave.

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos:
for the iS front lip, most people justkeep it black, so your fine unless you want to paint it.

I dont really have any experiance with paint matching, but i know if you search around good, there is a website that has all the colors of BMW paint, and you can buy some things through them. Ill look around for it

Old 02-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
IF you go to a decent auto body shop, they should be able to match the paint up. I'm in Vancouver and I have had just a panel or two painted on two of Bimmers and you would have a hard time figureing out which was which. You can just paint & clear coat the spoiler and have them install it for you. Phone up your BMW service department - I see you are in Alberta so probably Calgary or Edmonchuck - and ask them to recommend an autobody shop, they will have a couple of good recommnedations.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
Tinted windows are a cheap mod that can change the look of the car, if you like them.

Tires and wheels off ebay can also be a good place to start. I got a set of 16" wheels and tires for 450$, I have been very pleased with them.

If the hood and tail emblems are faded, changing them can be a cheap way to help the car look newer.
Abdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I'll have to see if there are any places around here that will match the paint for me.

As for the tinting, that's first on my list - getting limo tint, probably in the next few days.

A friend of mine works for fountain tire, so he's going to hook me up with some rims/ low pro's in the spring. The previous owner just put all new winter tires on her a few months ago, so it's not worth replacing them yet.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by Agent Orange@Feb 20 2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info - I've been poiking around bav auto and a ocuple of other sites, but I can't find any decent suppliers in canada.

I was also wondering, with the lip spoilers, and with and body kits/ wings, am I right in thinking you basically have to put them on and respray the whole thing? The car is a metallic light blue ( I think BMW calls it glauschenblau) and all the parts I see as addons are all black or white, and require painting, but it's hard to match old paint , even though it's not very bleached/faded.

I appreciate the info on the suspension. When I get the cash, I'll prolly go for the IE/Bilstein combo. I was looking at lowering the car anyway.

I'll have to poke around those sites you gave.

Thanks a lot.
[snapback]295729[/snapback]
if you get the paint code then you can respray it and give the whole car a good wax and cut pollish and it will look like the whole car was repainted or get another clear coat shot on her, id opt for the first one seieng as its cheaper.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by rsn48@Feb 20 2005, 10:07 PM
IF you go to a decent auto body shop, they should be able to match the paint up. I'm in Vancouver and I have had just a panel or two painted on two of Bimmers and you would have a hard time figureing out which was which. You can just paint & clear coat the spoiler and have them install it for you. Phone up your BMW service department - I see you are in Alberta so probably Calgary or Edmonchuck - and ask them to recommend an autobody shop, they will have a couple of good recommnedations.
[snapback]295799[/snapback]
hey where abouts are you from? i live in white rock
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Feb 20 2005, 11:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Feb 20 2005, 11:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-rsn48@Feb 20 2005, 10:07 PM
[snapback]295944[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I'm in edmonton

I've been looking around now, because I'm intrigued about getting a front/rear spoiler I like the M-tech's - nothing too garish. Now that I'm looking, I can't find any I found tons before.

I'm not sure I want to foot the bill for a full respray right now. The paint looks great on it. If I can get away with just painting the spoiler, I'd be ecstatic.

Does anyone know of a canadian dealer for m-technic body kits? bringing one in from the US will cost a small fortune...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Agent Orange+Feb 20 2005, 10:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Agent Orange @ Feb 20 2005, 10:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Feb 20 2005, 11:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rsn48
Quote:
@Feb 20 2005, 10:07 PM
IF you go to a decent auto body shop, they should be able to match the paint up.* I'm in Vancouver and I have had just a panel or two painted on two of Bimmers and you would have a hard time figureing out which was which.* You can just paint & clear coat the spoiler and have them install it for you.* Phone up your BMW service department - I see you are in Alberta so probably Calgary or Edmonchuck - and ask them to recommend an* autobody shop, they will have a couple of good recommnedations.

[snapback]295944[/snapback]
I'm in edmonton

I've been looking around now, because I'm intrigued about getting a front/rear spoiler I like the M-tech's - nothing too garish. Now that I'm looking, I can't find any I found tons before.

I'm not sure I want to foot the bill for a full respray right now. The paint looks great on it. If I can get away with just painting the spoiler, I'd be ecstatic.

Does anyone know of a canadian dealer for m-technic body kits? bringing one in from the US will cost a small fortune...
[snapback]295973[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

you dont have to respray the whole car, just the spoilers just get the color code for you paint and take it somwhere to get some paint thrown on her and then it'l look the same depending on if your paints at all faded you might notice a bit of a difference but do a good cut pollish and wax and you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I've been looking on ebaay and I've found a few things... need some opinions, though.

AC Schnitzer Package

will this fit an E30? I really like the frame for the shifter.

M-Tech Package

This looks like a nice alternative, and more complete than the AC shnitzer ( without the frame, though).

Is there a chance these are knock-offs? they look awfully similar to me, albeit with different logos. Like I said I'm new to this, so I don't want to get ripped off.

It looks like people almost want new price for used spoilers - does anyone know of a shop that would sell the front and rear spoilers as a package? I just figure I could save a lot in shipping this way. I looked, but haven't found any yet.

anyway, thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos:
that set is for an E36, so it might not fit. I am not familiar with bolt patterns or anything on different pedals, so i dont know if it would work.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
late 318s didnt come with fog lights so its not unusual that it doesnt have them
e30fanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)