New cat-back for the M50 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:29 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
(Thread Starter)
New cat-back for the M50

I had a new cat-back built this Saturday for my M50 because the first one I had on the car was complete garbage. It looked good but didn't flow worth a crap and was way too quiet for my liking.

So I got a 3" cat-back built Custom Y-pipe after the rear flange then 3" pipe to the 3" in/out Borla XR-1 muffler. I am very happy with the new set-up, it sounds good and the car makes much better HP and TQ now. Muffler Tech in Sacramento did the work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
they were fast too Sounds really good, we should get a vid of it

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:44 AM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
how much did it cost you?
looks pretty hot btw...waiting for vids

#4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30dream
how much did it cost you?
looks pretty hot btw...waiting for vids
Muffler was $134 plus $16 for express shipping then to have the muffler shop fab up the Y-pipe and 3" piping was $125.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:43 PM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
not bad at all huh!

i currently have a thrush muffler (recommended by starmavin previously) (this shit was cheap so im not sure if i want to have it put on) but i definitely need a y pipe. Im hoping to be in CSU Sacramento by next fall so that place seems like they did a pretty good job.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:51 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30dream
not bad at all huh!

i currently have a thrush muffler (recommended by starmavin previously) (this shit was cheap so im not sure if i want to have it put on) but i definitely need a y pipe. Im hoping to be in CSU Sacramento by next fall so that place seems like they did a pretty good job.
Yes, Muffler Tech on Florin Road does good work at a fair price. I started going to them when I used to have my Z28 about 5 years ago. I wanted my exhaust to use the factory hangers so I built my own brackets for them to use so that saved me some money.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
3"???
looks great, though.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsbeaker
3"???
looks great, though.
Yeah, 3". 2 1/2" would of been smaller than the two stock pipes for the M50 exhaust 2 3/4" is about the same as the dual stock 45mm pipes but they don't make the muffler I got in 2 3/4" so I went with 3".
#9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
ya single 3" really isn't that much bigger than the e36 dual 45mm's

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
ya single 3" really isn't that much bigger than the e36 dual 45mm's
I'm not trying to be weird, but as soon as I read that, something told me that I should check that out. (math wise, that is)
I don't know if this is the way it would work out really, but I figured that the volume of a cylinder is just Height times the area of the circle... so I figured out the area of the circles for the tubing (I know they are OD, but we'll just use those numbers for simplicity.

45mm = 1.7717" (diameter)
Divide that in half for the Radius (.88585)
Pi x R x R =2.464
x2 for duals =4.928 sq in.

76.2mm = 3"
Divide that in half for the radius (1.5)
Pi x R x R = 7.065 sq in.

Quite a difference there. Your engine can really breath!
Just for giggles...

63.5 = 2.5"
Divide that in half for the radius (1.25)
Pi x R x R = 4.906 sq in. (Pretty dang close!)

I don't know if that was your plan, or if that's even the correct application, but I feel better knowing now. Thanks.

My BMW Blog
#11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
Quote:
I'm not trying to be weird, but as soon as I read that, something told me that I should check that out. (math wise, that is)
I don't know if this is the way it would work out really, but I figured that the volume of a cylinder is just Height times the area of the circle... so I figured out the area of the circles for the tubing (I know they are OD, but we'll just use those numbers for simplicity.

45mm = 1.7717" (diameter)
Divide that in half for the Radius (.88585)
Pi x R x R =2.464
x2 for duals =4.928 sq in.

76.2mm = 3"
Divide that in half for the radius (1.5)
Pi x R x R = 7.065 sq in.

Quite a difference there. Your engine can really breath!
Just for giggles...

63.5 = 2.5"
Divide that in half for the radius (1.25)
Pi x R x R = 4.906 sq in. (Pretty dang close!)

I don't know if that was your plan, or if that's even the correct application, but I feel better knowing now. Thanks.

nerd...

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

Hey! Now the 3" pipe goes UNDER the half shafts! You're cool with that?

so what kind of exhaust is that from the cat forward?
Is that the stock E36? You didn't have to bend anything?
p.s. (OT) That was cool how the shop just put your engine on the subframe and "dropped" the car right on it. Wish I had a lift in my garage.

My BMW Blog

Last edited by ldsbeaker; 12-30-2006 at 11:25 AM.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
cool

#14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Hey! Now the 3" pipe goes UNDER the half shafts! You're cool with that?

so what kind of exhaust is that from the cat forward?
Is that the stock E36? You didn't have to bend anything?
p.s. (OT) That was cool how the shop just put your engine on the subframe and "dropped" the car right on it. Wish I had a lift in my garage.
i dont see why straighter flow is a problem? and the "exhaust" from the manifold back is just the stock E36 cat, you have to massage the heat shield a tad, and put a little indent in the pipe to clear the sway bar.

we did the swap not "some shop" he is "the shop" hes the service writer/parts manager there at performance motorwerks

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
i dont see why straighter flow is a problem? and the "exhaust" from the manifold back is just the stock E36 cat, you have to massage the heat shield a tad, and put a little indent in the pipe to clear the sway bar.

we did the swap not "some shop" he is "the shop" hes the service writer/parts manager there at performance motorwerks
I realized that it was straighter flow. That was the first thing I thought. I also thought that it would be kind of exposed and stuff. I don't know what your roads are like out there.
Thanks for the hint on the exhaust. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do about exhaust. probably about the same, so that I can pass insp with cats.
Wasn't trying to dis on the workmanship, dude. I guess I missed that part in the thread about who did the swap. I said it is an awesome car, and I'm jealous! I don't know everything like some people here, so I ask to find out. mkay?

p.s. All that math up there wasn't to show you up or anything. I was just being Anal. Just call me "Ross" okay?

My BMW Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)