New to the BMW world - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
royalnite42 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New to the BMW world

Well I got a 1984' 318i today for $1000 from a gentleman in Murfreesboro, TN and I'm really new to the car world, I'm used to driving Jeep Cherokee's. Well here we go with the body and engine, The paint is in great condition minus a spot on the hood, a spot on the driver door are slightly pealing and there are a few spots on the front where seems like rocks have hit the car. The driver side window won't roll down and I was told it was just the switch, I need to get a cover for the passenger side door handle on the inside.The leather seats are hard but I figure I'd hit it with some armor all and they should soften up. There isn't much of any rust at all on the frame, the brakes are fine minus the fact that my foot almost hits the floor board when I break but I'm guessing it just needs the brake fluid changed. Moonroof doesn't leak nor do the windows. The engine is in pretty good shape and well as the 5spd transmission...Shifts smooth. I'm curious about one thing though, the engine seems to idle high at 2000 rpm's but goes down slightly when I'm driving around after a few minuets, is that normal?

I'll have pictures posted soon in the next few days, so please fill me in, I'm really willing to learn all I can about this cars...

Cheers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
n00b

prosavage2600 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to prosavage2600
Sounds like a good little car. The idle should be at around 1300-1400 when warming up and then should drop to around 800 after a few minutes.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Welcome to the Werkz. Congratulations on the car, sounds like a good first BMW and should be very nice after a little fixing up.

#4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys!

Well I got to tinker and look around abit today when it wasn't raining like crazy and I've come up with a list of things on the car.

1st. I found out why it may be having a high idle is because the choke could be sticking (So says a family member). Which could be true.
2) Need to Bleed Brakes
3) Window Switches
4) Paint touch up on two spots
5)Exhaust Leak- Going to get this checked on Thursday.
6) Odometer Gauge, I'm taking this to BMW mech to check it out and to do an overview of the car..
7)Floor Mats-I don't want to spend $120 on a set of BMW floor mats so I'm going to buy some black cloth ones from Autozone and buy 4 Patches from EBAY and make a set,(What do you all think?)
8) I got it up on I-24 today and got it up to 90mph but I had to pretty much stick it in the floor to get it there...So I want to get it back to where it'll do 140mph without that much of a struggle...

So how's that for a first day update, any suggestions?

One more thing, The car when I start it wants to bog down but it'll run. As if it was a cold start for a diesel. Rev's then goes down to 400RPM and then bumps about for a min...Any ideas?

Last edited by royalnite42; 09-16-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz......... It always feels great fixing your own car!

jb

#6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 AM
n00b

burrap is on a distinguished road
i may be buying an 84 318i today and i also drive a jeep cherokee. post up some pics.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I hate to sound like an idiot but how do you post photo's up>?

"Fell like a fool for five minutes or feel like a fool forever for not asking."

.So the chicken never made it across the road...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:35 PM
n00b

burrap is on a distinguished road
i believe you click reply to thread then scroll down and click the button that says manage attachments, then upload them from your computer
#9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:10 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
thats how you do it guys. glad to see you are here.

first off, royalnite...the reason your car bogs down on cold starts is your ICV (Idle Control Valve) is either gummed up or in need of replacement.

next..lets see some pics!

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well I put some more brake fluid into the reserve and didn't see any air bubbles come up in the reserve tank when I pushed the brakes but it still runs to soft for comfort, so I think its the Master Brake Cyl.? I put new spark plugs and rotor button on it, which improved it abit, and we got the throttle to work abit bitter by adjusting it, it used to click then accel. so thats all better now for abit. Thanks for the advice on the idle, its gone down since we changed the plugs and it cleared up the miss that it had...Found a nasty rust hole in the cross member, don't know how hard or expensive that'll be to replace but I think I can do it myself...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairman-pic021.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	28447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairman-pic028.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	28448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairman-pic029.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	28449  

.So the chicken never made it across the road...
#11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
thats actually a nice example. only thing i would suggest is removing the chrome fender strips on the wheelwells.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)