BMW Werkz banner

New To The Bmw World

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Gabrielpr12 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
I just bought a 1989 318i (Euro Specs). I don't know anything about BMWs so I would like to know some of the car specs like HP, torque, what parts are interchangeable between models, etc. The car is black, manual everything except mirrors, cloth seats, the engine is a m10 as far as I know (4 cyl, 1.8), is manual transmission, 4 doors and it has the bottlecap rims which are 4x100 pattern. I would like to know what other factory or OEM wheels fit my car and what other options are available for this model. Another thing I would like to know is that since this car didn't came to U.S., what U.S. model can I compare it to since most of the websites for aftermarket parts don't have my car listed, I mean they have it but for 1991 or other years not 1989. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info.

#7 ·
if its an '89 then its an m40, any of the aftermarket parts that fit an e30 and dont have anything to do with the engine will work they are all the same in that aspect. As far as engine performance goes i dont think they made an m40 in the US so that may be a little difficult. I dont know how similar the m40 is to the m42 since ive never seen one here

#8 ·
Originally posted by Gabrielpr12@Mar 14 2005, 11:27 AM
My engine looks just like this one. So what's the engine code for it?

[snapback]311154[/snapback]​
if your engine looks like that that looks like an M42 to me, unless like E30fan said the M40 looks identical.. but i doubt it.

#11 ·
if its really a european car then it is an m40. they did not make a 318 in the US after '85 until 11/89 which would be an "is" which had a m42, but in europe they had a 318i that came with a m40. what is the production date on the car? if it is before 11/89 then it is european and it has an m40

#12 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Mar 15 2005, 10:55 PM
if its really a european car then it is an m40. they did not make a 318 in the US after '85 until 11/89 which would be an "is" which had a m42, but in europe they had a 318i that came with a m40. what is the production date on the car? if it is before 11/89 then it is european and it has an m40
[snapback]312108[/snapback]​
Yeah it was before that date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.