New-B here...intro...q's... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moosepuck is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up New-B here...intro...q's...

Hello, I just purchased a 1991 318i convert with 255,xxx miles on it... 4-banger, 5-speed....engine has a mere 90k on it. ....hmmm this baby needs a lot of love... First off, power steering leaks enough to drain the resivoir daily!!! Probably a busted line somewhere....brake rotors warped like crazy....rear wheel bearing probably shot(makes a lot of noise in the back)...paint and top are really good. I haven't driven a 5-speed in so long, it just felt soooo good.... I can't wait to get to work on it. This is my very first BMW....I have a lot of work to do, any and all advice is appreciated....most of the work looks pretty straight forward, I'm curious to know if the rear wheel bearing are something I'll be able to do myself or if they need to be pressed in.... I just want to get to work on it.....just got it today, so far...fun to drive......give me all info you can....feed me....BMdummy here.!!! SO nice to have a 5spd rwd again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome!! There are plenty of ways to get the rear bearings on/off. You shouldn't need a special tool or lots of $$. You will need a fresh supply of profanity though. Hope you like dirty hands, as our older E30's love fresh parts.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
HOLY SHEEP! It's the almighty moose!

Alright guys, fair warning, this guy is full of...

KIDDING! Actually Jeremy is an old Army buddy of mine and is helpless mechanically, I taught him everything I know.
The problem is that that took about 2 minutes, and he became rapidly smarter! DAMNIT!
Okay, enough schitt talk, I am just glad to welcome my wrench turnin', rubber burnin', buddy to the board!

Good to have you here Jerm!
Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:27 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Moose, look up Nukeduster and Starmavin (two of the members on this board) as I believe both are working on forced induction setups, although not necessarily on the 4 cylinders... Both are a GREAT resource though, and full of great...

INFO!
HAH, you all thought I was gonna say POOP huh!?

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I just got the car up on the stands....DAMN...needs new power steering rack...and DOUBLE DAMN....those aren't cheap locally....anyone know any good sources?.... All my EGR lines are cracked..worthless... But I can say that I do like how the car is put together.... pretty straight forward. Anyone got a rack for a 91??
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
thats a very turbo-able motor. do it. do it. do it.

ive seen better torque curves on a m10 turbo then a m20 , actually. nutty.

junk yard / ebay for the rack. get an 89 or newer rack as they are aluminum and weigh less. but all e30 racks are interchangable.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Just ordered a rack from carsteering.com last night for $225...new rotors today....all basic tune up stuff.... I'll get to the back of the car in a week or so...sounds like bad bearings....or maybe there's no oil in the diff.... I'll definitley check out the forced induction...after I get her reliable again!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)