need some advice on 325E NOISE - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 85 325e 90 525I '96 328i
Photos:
pinnaclebass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinnaclebass Send a message via Yahoo to pinnaclebass
need some advice on 325E NOISE

besides this blinker issue, which i figured out. I have this noise coming from the drive train, when the car is on and the car is in neutral. when I engage clutch or (push down clutch) noise disappears. its not a knocking sound more like a winding or whining sound. mechanic said transmission fluid was real low last time he checked. about a month ago. and seems like transmission fluid is kinda leaking. only one or two drops if that after every drive. and its fresh, clean fluid. it does smell like sometimes it is burning tranny fluid after a drive.
I wonder what the problem is. clutch is fine, does not slip. i do need a tune up, new fluids, filters, valve adjustment, starter solenoid, heater valve, brake sensor, brake harness. parking brake pad.
she has new timing belt, thermostat and been resealed in last month.
one other thing before i sent it to my mechanic, and the reason i sent it to him, was during acceleration from 2nd gear to third, reving all the way to 4800 RPM the car would get bogged down at about 3000 rpm. which is maximum torque. it just would not accelerate smoothly through, and seemed to hesitate and then knock into place and continue. I figure that must have been a tranny issue since low fluid was there. my biggest concern or question is if fluid is still burning or leaking then fluid must be low or getting low again. which i need to check. and transmission probably needs to be checked when i get this tune up, pretty soon. just waiting on some extra cash. any thoughts would be appreciated. what component in the transmission would be harmed or damaged because of this and may need to be replaced?
pinnaclebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1986 325e M20B27
Photos:
bimmerpat90 is on a distinguished road
I dont now what the whining could be but if your low on fluid then you could wear down you gears because metal on metal isnt good and that could be pretty expensive especially if you have a mechanic do it.
bimmerpat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 85 325e 90 525I '96 328i
Photos:
pinnaclebass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinnaclebass Send a message via Yahoo to pinnaclebass
the car is running smooth now, through acceleration and shifting in al revs and gears. just thinking about that fluid problem. mechanic did fill up transmission fluid. when i first got it back from him it as smooth as can be shifting but it smelled like burning of fluid. now its not so much smelling like it. just does not seem as smooth. which leads me to think its becoming low again! so a better question is why fluid is being burned or leaking in transmission. he did mention that i was lucky cause we had caught it before it was way too low and could cause damage. so he topped her off.
pinnaclebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)