* Need Help Soon * - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Project_E30 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question * Need Help Soon *

Have a 325e swapping out Diff from 2.93 < 3.25 Anyone done this with some advice?? Gear oil + Gaskets <~~ what type of gear oil plus was wondering for the cover what gaskets i need ??

Newbie with this. Doing the swap on SAT.
Have all the tools and been working on cars for a little while but no Diff swaps, little bit of knowledge would help, what else should i do while i'm in the area of the car?

THX!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 11:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Not to rain in on your paraide, but, you do NOT want to do that. Swapping diffs for a lower raito will not increase your power with an eta powered car. ETA motors make their power at lower rpms, all you are doing is dropping the usefull power band in each gear (You'll be in 4 gear by about 40 mph), killing your milage (you'll be running about 3000rpm at 60mph) and in the long run it'll only hurt your eta.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Short Time frame.

Soon to swap m50. Will the swap on the diff work for a month or two??
The 2.93 is shot. What would you sugest??

Very open to advice.

THX
#4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
That'll be fine untill you do the swap.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
2.93 to 3.25 complete

Swap was a lot easier than i thought.
Had to change the cover and flanges, (Note: Slide hammer works great for a removal tool on the flanges)

And i can tell the difference a lot. Good times when the engine swap comes along, until then going to have to take it easy.

However, i have a new issue, noise is gone from the Diff, yet i'm getting a pretty bad vibration. This came before the swap, shortly before the swap but nonetheless before.
Drive shaft U-joints?? Can't tell really where it's coming from, only active when in gear. Regardless of what speed once you push in the clutch it's gone. Higher RPM faster the vibration. Doesn't feel like it's coming from the back, i wana say almost from the clutch itself, but thats what makes me beleive it's maybe u-joints. Difficulty changing u-joints???? Advice????

Once again, in need of some knowledge.

(My many (?)'s are making me feel like a leech. )
#6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 06:29 PM
5th Gear Member

Good chance its the center bearing, or guibo.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
Not to rain in on your paraide, but, you do NOT want to do that. Swapping diffs for a lower raito will not increase your power with an eta powered car. ETA motors make their power at lower rpms, all you are doing is dropping the usefull power band in each gear (You'll be in 4 gear by about 40 mph), killing your milage (you'll be running about 3000rpm at 60mph) and in the long run it'll only hurt your eta.

odd it takes almost a full second off the 0-60 on a chipped Eta when you swap in a 3.25...anything shorter than a 3.25 then it will really hurt you. I could see it being a problem on a non chipped Eta though being that the motor makes no top end power pre chip...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:02 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
odd it takes almost a full second off the 0-60 on a chipped Eta when you swap in a 3.25...anything shorter than a 3.25 then it will really hurt you. I could see it being a problem on a non chipped Eta though being that the motor makes no top end power pre chip...
It also takes a full 20 mph off your top speed, and drops your mileage by about 3-5 mpg or more, and the chips do nearly nothing for anything over 4000 rpm, and even with the rev limiter gone you don't want to stay in the red for too long with an eta.

Why? Been there done that. I did the 3.25 swap and went back, with stock gears I can wind out each gear longer making the most of the eta's power band, with the 3.25 you are shifting into 5th at 45 mph. It sucks.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
guibo <~~??

Quote:
Good chance its the center bearing, or guibo.
Center bearing i know about. Possible you could enlighten me on what a guibo is?

THX!!
#10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
It also takes a full 20 mph off your top speed, and drops your mileage by about 3-5 mpg or more, and the chips do nearly nothing for anything over 4000 rpm, and even with the rev limiter gone you don't want to stay in the red for too long with an eta.

Why? Been there done that. I did the 3.25 swap and went back, with stock gears I can wind out each gear longer making the most of the eta's power band, with the 3.25 you are shifting into 5th at 45 mph. It sucks.

lol er theres a little math error there, are you sure you arent thinking of the 3.73? cause that sounds like joemadoos car in the video with a 3.73 installed...we're talking about the 3.25

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_E30
Center bearing i know about. Possible you could enlighten me on what a guibo is?

THX!!
It's the rubber flex disk off the back of the transmission.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
lol er theres a little math error there, are you sure you arent thinking of the 3.73? cause that sounds like joemadoos car in the video with a 3.73 installed...we're talking about the 3.25
Perhapps, but, none the less it is still making more shifts too soon and lowers the amount of usefull torque in each gear.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

either way, its been shown time and time again that with the 3.25 installed the cars 0-60 time drops considerably, thus making it a worthwhile install,

you can not reach 60mph in second gear with a 2.93 and even raised redline of dinan chip anyway, you will reach about 56mph, i have tried so its not like you are losing anymore time to shifting...still have to get into 3rd gear to hit 60mph

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I hate that about our cars.
However, if you have an S52, and a 2.93....

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

no, S52 and 3.73 would be tits haha

alexs M50 with the 3.73 installed is insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane, super close ratio, always in the power band, so nice

but he daily drives on the 3.25 for gas mileage

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)