BMW Werkz banner

Need Help... Rack And Pinion

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
Hey... I need help with advise on changing the rack and pinion on my 1990 325I. I can do alot of stuff myself so I was wondering if anyone here has done this job yet and has some advice for me.... Should I take up this project or hand it over to my mechanic... So far I have been able to do most jobs on my own but I don't know if this is complicated or not.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bryce.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by brycealicious@May 3 2005, 05:42 AM
Hey... I need help with advise on changing the rack and pinion on my 1990 325I. I can do alot of stuff myself so I was wondering if anyone here has done this job yet and has some advice for me.... Should I take up this project or hand it over to my mechanic... So far I have been able to do most jobs on my own but I don't know if this is complicated or not.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bryce.
[snapback]340419[/snapback]​
have to un-do the motor mounts and jack up the motor like 3 inches or so to let the rack clear the oil pan, but after that youre pretty much home free and its not overly complicated.

#4 ·
It is an easy job but if your fitting a new jack then you have to split the track rods from the rack get 2 new lock tabs and 4 new gator clips. You can jack up the motor, but you can wangle the rack out without even if you have to bend the brackets a little with a large pair of pipe grip and knock them straight after you get the new in. If after you’ve removed the bottom column bolt you put the rack straight (it’s marked on top of the pinion) and put the steering lock on you should have mess about with the steering wheel to much. You will have to get the tracking checked..

#5 ·
Originally posted by bad man working@May 3 2005, 09:41 AM
It is an easy job but if your fitting a new jack then you have to split the track rods from the rack get 2 new lock tabs and 4 new gator clips. You can jack up the motor, but you can wangle the rack out without even if you have to bend the brackets a little with a large pair of pipe grip and knock them straight after you get the new in. If after you’ve removed the bottom column bolt you put the rack straight (it’s marked on top of the pinion) and put the steering lock on you should have mess about with the steering wheel to much. You will have to get the tracking checked..
[snapback]340446[/snapback]​

Not quite sure what you mean by gator clips and lock tabs... I would prefer not have to bang anything back into place either... If it is possible for me to jack the motor I would prefer do it that way... Any suggestions?

Attachments

#6 ·
The gator clips are the steel bands that secure the rubber corrugated gators that either end of the rack. Then these are removed you’ll see where the track rods are threaded into the rack these are locked with large metal washer that are hammer over and have tabs going into the rack. There not much banging the bracket are mild steel and bend easier, but the rack will come put without any bending or jacking with in a bit of messing about.

#7 ·
Originally posted by bad man working@May 3 2005, 11:42 AM
The gator clips are the steel bands that secure the rubber corrugated gators that either end of the rack. Then these are removed you’ll see where the track rods are threaded into the rack these are locked with large metal washer that are hammer over and have tabs going into the rack. There not much banging the bracket are mild steel and bend easier, but the rack will come put without any bending or jacking with in a bit of messing about.
[snapback]340524[/snapback]​
just use a 2x4 on the oil pan to distribute the weight and a floor jack and you can jack up the engine a few inches to gain the clearance needed without having to bend the tabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.