Need Help... Rack And Pinion - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brycealicious is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey... I need help with advise on changing the rack and pinion on my 1990 325I. I can do alot of stuff myself so I was wondering if anyone here has done this job yet and has some advice for me.... Should I take up this project or hand it over to my mechanic... So far I have been able to do most jobs on my own but I don't know if this is complicated or not.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bryce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1990325I.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	20186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by brycealicious@May 3 2005, 05:42 AM
Hey... I need help with advise on changing the rack and pinion on my 1990 325I. I can do alot of stuff myself so I was wondering if anyone here has done this job yet and has some advice for me.... Should I take up this project or hand it over to my mechanic... So far I have been able to do most jobs on my own but I don't know if this is complicated or not.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bryce.
[snapback]340419[/snapback]
have to un-do the motor mounts and jack up the motor like 3 inches or so to let the rack clear the oil pan, but after that youre pretty much home free and its not overly complicated.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Great... can it be done on Jack stands... I haven't had to jack the motor yet.... What is the best way to go about it with minimal equipement? and what is the easiest way to tell if I have an air bag... I'm pretty sure there is one but I think it was disconected or something...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	69
ID:	20190  
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
It is an easy job but if your fitting a new jack then you have to split the track rods from the rack get 2 new lock tabs and 4 new gator clips. You can jack up the motor, but you can wangle the rack out without even if you have to bend the brackets a little with a large pair of pipe grip and knock them straight after you get the new in. If after youíve removed the bottom column bolt you put the rack straight (itís marked on top of the pinion) and put the steering lock on you should have mess about with the steering wheel to much. You will have to get the tracking checked..
#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bad man working@May 3 2005, 09:41 AM
It is an easy job but if your fitting a new jack then you have to split the track rods from the rack get 2 new lock tabs and 4 new gator clips. You can jack up the motor, but you can wangle the rack out without even if you have to bend the brackets a little with a large pair of pipe grip and knock them straight after you get the new in. If after youíve removed the bottom column bolt you put the rack straight (itís marked on top of the pinion) and put the steering lock on you should have mess about with the steering wheel to much. You will have to get the tracking checked..
[snapback]340446[/snapback]

Not quite sure what you mean by gator clips and lock tabs... I would prefer not have to bang anything back into place either... If it is possible for me to jack the motor I would prefer do it that way... Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
ID:	20191  
#6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
The gator clips are the steel bands that secure the rubber corrugated gators that either end of the rack. Then these are removed youíll see where the track rods are threaded into the rack these are locked with large metal washer that are hammer over and have tabs going into the rack. There not much banging the bracket are mild steel and bend easier, but the rack will come put without any bending or jacking with in a bit of messing about.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by bad man working@May 3 2005, 11:42 AM
The gator clips are the steel bands that secure the rubber corrugated gators that either end of the rack. Then these are removed youíll see where the track rods are threaded into the rack these are locked with large metal washer that are hammer over and have tabs going into the rack. There not much banging the bracket are mild steel and bend easier, but the rack will come put without any bending or jacking with in a bit of messing about.
[snapback]340524[/snapback]
just use a 2x4 on the oil pan to distribute the weight and a floor jack and you can jack up the engine a few inches to gain the clearance needed without having to bend the tabs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)