Need Help! Not Starting!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325ix is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Alright guys, I'm new to this site, but i hope you guys can help me out. I'm hoping at least one of you can help me out, but ok here is the problem.

After driving it extremily lightly for a few weeks, it just refused to start one day. I'm no moron, the battery is charged, the starter is strong, all connections are good to go. I checked for spark, its getting spark. Its not getting any fuel.. now I immediatly assumed the worst (dead fuel pump). I had it sent to the dealership. They said it started for them no problem.. so perhaps the tow truck jostled somthing around. After driving it home, and trying to start it again it failed to start.
They suggested buying a new relay. So I bought the new relay fuse.. still nothing. I am stuck!! I don't want to send it back to the shop if the tow truck ride is just going to make it temperarily start, if it does the shop doesn't look anyfurther. I'm going to check all the connections I can tonight, but really I need some help here. What should I be looking for?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
I am not familiar with the IX (I have a 325e) but if the intake system is essentially the same, I would look at the Cold Start Injector or Cold Start Valve (Same thing, but some people call it one thing, some call it the other) when the engine is cold, it shoots a small amount of extra fuel into the intake track to encourage light off. My car was doing the same thing, and mine is getting spark as well. When I chaged the CSI (about $140) it cranked a few times and chugged back to life!

Hope this helps!

Josh W
'86 325e w/Dinan ECU

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC@May 16 2005, 05:49 AM
I am not familiar with the IX (I have a 325e) but if the intake system is essentially the same, I would look at the Cold Start Injector or Cold Start Valve (Same thing, but some people call it one thing, some call it the other) when the engine is cold, it shoots a small amount of extra fuel into the intake track to encourage light off. My car was doing the same thing, and mine is getting spark as well. When I chaged the CSI (about $140) it cranked a few times and chugged back to life!

Hope this helps!

Josh W
'86 325e w/Dinan ECU
[snapback]344893[/snapback]
The i/ix doesnt have a CSI however check your fuel pump relay first by pulling the relay (its the middle relay on the driver side shock mount) and jumping pins 30 and 87 together and see if your fuel pump runs (you'll be able to hear it if you get close to the rear driver wheel)

if it works its probably your relay or ignition switch.. if it doesnt work its probably your fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)