BMW Werkz banner

Need Advice: Buying Wife 3 Series

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  silversled 
#1 ·
It is our ten year anniversary in a few weeks, I was wondering if this would be a great car for her, It's a convertible and seems to have relatively low kilometers.

I think the person incorrectly labeled it an M3. Am i right?

Your input would be greatly apprecaited.

I've attached a Video of the car and the ad itself itself, do you think the price tag is too steep?

#2 ·
it's not hard to figure out if it's an M3....open the hood and look at the engine...and I don't think that an M would be great for your wife unless she's Danica Patrick (bitch) but maybe for yourself. It'll say MotorSport on the valve cover if it's a true M.....the simplest of several ways to tell....

#3 ·
actually some here in the states simply say M Power on the valve cover. I almost (and should of) bought a 1988 M6 with 54K miles on it for $16,000 back in 1997, it said M Power I believe on the valve cover. I took my 1985 635CSi to the lot and opened both hoods side by side and the difference between the two engine comparments was quite unbelievable....the M6 was the 635 on steroids...not even close...and the performance (on a test drive) was equally as impressive....my 635 was like 218 HP, the M6 was a conservative 286 HP but the clutch, suspension, driveline and so forth was much more substantial than mine.....I still kick myself in my mental ass when I think about the lack of my initiative...plus the M6 was red with black leather...which I dig and my 635 was Bronzit with tan buffalo hide, which I hated.....live and learn I say....best of luck.....

#5 ·
yeah, the 635CSi was a great car, I sold it in New Mexico before returning to Illinois but yeah....that 6 series was a very, very pretty body style set on a 5 series chassis. And talk about point and shoot handling, it was as sharp as my 325ic with more authority.
The 6 was/is the fastest I have ever driven a car..130 mph on I-25 heading south from Albuquerque to Socorro New Mexico and the thing was stable as a rock....but all BMWs, properly maintained, are equally capable. It was the sleekness of the body contours that attracted me. I had just lost a 533i in a divorce, same car essentially.....nevertheless...the M6 was substantially more substantial.....it's very easy to spot a mis-badged M verses a non M model. And if you do, I would admonish the individual who attempted to sell it as such, they are either stupid or scammers. Either way they need to be taken to task for being an idiot or a poor scam artist....If it is in fact an M then you need to back to school on these things.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.