BMW Werkz banner

Need Advice On Buying

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bimmin'88 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was considering buying an e30 325i, post-1987 (for the higher revving engine, i believe this is the year they came out with it).

I was hoping for a little advice, or if anyone can share experience.
Would this kind of car be a lot more expensive to run, than, say, a honda or a toyota of the same age?

My main concerns are
1)the price of spare parts, regular wear stuff like timing belts, hoses, CV boots, alternators, ignitions, water pumps, etc.

2)Are automatic transmissions on these cars generally decent and reliable?

3)Do these cars come with timing chains or timing belts (is the engine an interference engine)

Labor is not of much concern because i've known a great bmw mechanic for a while and i know he wouldnt fleece me.(he reccommended the car but i need more opinions)

Im a high school student, so I dont have a lot of money. Which is why i come to this forum for opinions on this matter. (no flames please, i do know how to drive cars already
)
thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Would this kind of car be a lot more expensive to run, than, say, a honda or a toyota of the same age?

so far ive found the price of parts very reasonable,,euro parts seem to run cheaper then say japan imports

1)the price of spare parts, regular wear stuff like timing belts, hoses, CV boots, alternators, ignitions, water pumps, etc.

timing belt is like 14$,cv boots in the 20$ range (i think) water pump is 40$,,,all in all not to pricey

2)Are automatic transmissions on these cars generally decent and reliable

yes,,tho some seem to slip/ or hard shift (not shifting at right rpm) if theve sat for awhile,,,also it depends on how much the car was abused

3)Do these cars come with timing chains or timing belts (is the engine an interference engine

YES they are interference engines with timing belts,,,,i suggest that no matter when the last owner says it was changed to change it anyway,,they are sohc(single overhead cam) engines so the timing belt isnt to hard to change,,make sure you/your mechanic does the tensioner and water pump while there at it.

welcome to the BMW world :wave :welcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.