BMW Werkz banner

my tranny

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  k.sidlosky 
#1 ·
my f*cking car is a f*cking f'd up f*ck. F*ck my transmission!!!!!!!:mad:mad:mad:mad:f-u:guns

sorry for using the hard language, but after the engine and effin shitbox ZF 4HP22-EH tranny are back in, there's still no force closure in any forward gear. The car runs fine in reverse, actually you can really drive in reverse, and in D it pulls like it usually pulls in forward gears, so you get a 2 mph forward motion. But when you press the gas, the transmission acts as if it's still in idle. This means it revs, but the car doesn't move. It's the same in 1, 2 and 3 mode.

When we had the tranny out it was all fine, the torque converter was fine and everything, and then I read that my problems are often symptoms of too little transmission oil. This made sense since two weeks before we had taken the radiator and the oil cooler out and we lost a bit of tranny oil as well. We had of course checked the oil before but didn't do it the correct way. So we then drained the tranny before taking it out and have since put 3.0 l ATF lifetime Automatic transmission oil in. That should be enough but the tranny dipstick still shows too little. I then went to the gas station and paid $15 for 0.5 l of ATF, still no other results.
So can please any of you guys help me? Does anyone have another idea?

I will get some more ATF oil tomorrow but actually according to the figures I have 3.5 l are already enough.

Please help me quickly!

Thanks

See less See more
#6 ·
the pressure doesn't build, that's the problem. You can rev however you like.
And the problem with checking the oil level is that the tranny oil should be 80°C warm, so you'd need to drive it for half an hour or leave it idling for about an hour or so, which is against the law. It's quite weird - it said that between the min and the max mark on the dipstick it's 0.4 l... yesterday I was about 4 mm between the min mark, filled in .5 l and just barely scrathced the min mark...
I'll put in another liter today, just to be safe, since you can always drain the excess oil.
We are currently in contact with a ZF technician, let's see if he can help us...

#3 ·
Never herd of that problem before... Did you change the tranny for a new one?
Are you positive the torque converter is good? We had the same prob with a dodge stratus one time, swapped out the converter.

Somethings not engaging...odviously..

#4 ·
Hey denyo, sorry to hear you are having such problems........the best thing to do when tackling a big job like an engine & trans.......is to stay calm & backtrack, recheck everything you have done thus far.......check all your connections vacuum, electrical, piping etc. Hope everything works out!

jb

#5 ·
well my dad had a very thorough look at the torque converter and also showed it to the dealership and they both said it was good. We've checked the S-E-123 switch yesterday as well. The weirdest thing is that it runs perfectly in reverse.
And to k.sidlivsky, no I didn't change the slushbox to a new one because I can't find an electrohydraulic one like mine is.

#7 ·
ok, my dad talked to the ZF technician. He's very sure my clutch A doesn't function anymore, thus blocking all (forward) gears except reverse gear. He gave us the URL of a service manual for the 4HP22 (in English) which includes a detailed instuction for repairs/disassebly. And he'll even ship us the parts needed this week.

Looks like things are finally starting to get better :)

#10 ·
thanks, witie and drz.
The parts we need are priced at 440€/~$600, but I hope that I can get them a bit cheaper since the technician said they still had some "lying around somewhere in the back" and he was quite interested in our work on the car.
Keep your fingers crossed, mates!

#11 ·
That would be somenthing if they hooked you up with a decent price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.