My first bimmer! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
eurobimmerguy is on a distinguished road
My first bimmer!

Hey whats up all? Bought my first BMW about 2 weeks ago and I must say I am really impressed. Here it is...

a euro spec 1987 325iX

the car runs good and doesnt look all that bad. Price paid: 350USD

The previous owner junked the car claiming charging problems. I strolled in the salvage yard (later that day) saw the car and made an offer. We jumped the car and it started right up. We noticed an interior light on (charging problem?) and turned it off. I also replaced the car's battery and have had no problems (electrical) since.

About 2 days into my ownership of the bimmer the clutch master cylinder gave up the ghost. $50 later a new master was installed and bled (by me) and I've been driving happily since.

I do have one question though, the car runs well and has very good power but the idle is quite odd...seems rough...no rpm fluctuation just rough...and there is also some ticking but I've heard thats normal for bimmers of that age and mileage (260,000km).

Well anyway a little about me...I'm American stationed over in Germany so used BMW parts are quite plentiful and cheap. I've already replaced my headlights with some in better condition and a few other small parts as well.

Well anyway gotta end this post but I must say I'm glad to be a member amongst this wealth of E30 knowledge.
eurobimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
WELCOME, and my only advice (being that I don't own an IX) is to GET A SKID PLATE that can cover the oil pan, because the front half-shafts pass THROUGH the pan, so if you ding the pan and need to replace it, you got a FRIGGIN' MESS on your hands!
On a side note, what service are you in? My guess would be Army, and if so, WELCOME FELLOW GRUNT! What MOS?

Better go before my boss (kinda reminds me of one of the drill instructors I had in basic!) catches me prowling the board!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
eurobimmerguy is on a distinguished road
Heh I'm air force actually and it sucks because our computer guys really know what they are doing...any site even closely related to forum or board is blocked at work lol.

I myself am a radio tech...electronics and all that good stuff. Its fun and I like my job...been to korea already and now that I'm in europe I'm having a great time.

I'll look into that skid plate...dunno where I would get one but I bet I could weld one together pretty cheap at the hobby shop on base. Thanks for the tip.
eurobimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
K-town. Boy I miss Germany. I could go for a Yufka Kebap right now.
... and a little bit of autobahn driving as well, for that matter.

I'm an Advanced Avionics Tech (comm, nav, radar, iff, etc) in the USMC.

all Services Unite!

p.s. I guess it's easy for you to be in the rocker club, Eurobimmerguy, huh?
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
USMC ftw

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
woot.
My BMW Blog
Old 03-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Hey, no USMC woot'ing around here!
This is a US Army woot'ing zone only! LOL!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Photos:
... and who's going to stop us?

An Army of One?

My BMW Blog
Old 03-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ROFL! GOOD response to a BAD marketing campaign!

No worries, even you jarheads (hey, take it easy, would you rather be called a "GRUNT"?) deserve a little respect... very little!

I can't help it, it's all part of the inter-service rivalry! All for love of country though, regardless of rank(except for officers!), branch, or job specialty, Military people are a rare and special breed. My hat's off to any and ALL currently active service people around the world!

Okay, enough political stuff!
Marines suck! (SEE, I can't help it!)

Josh W.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
While I'm not a marine, our family has a long history with them. My grandfather was probably the most illustrious, a 33 year veteran, CPO on a carrier, served during both WWII and Korea in the Pacific, lots of decorations. Wound up dying of tumors probably caused by the Hiroshima bomb.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)