My dry start issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: I have 3 E30s
Photos:
Zwilson8806 is on a distinguished road
My dry start issue

I have a 1992 318 conv. and I have a dry start issue. I have had the car for a couple of years now and this has never been a problem before. If the car sets for several hours it will have a dry start problem. If the time period is shorter it starts normal. I have checked several things oil level, oil pressure, oil grade. It has a cartridge style oil filter and I have had the top off the resevor a couple of times this week and the resevor is empty after it sets several hours. Is there a one way check valve to prevent the filter housing from draining out the oil? I have put oil in the housing before starting and it starts properly. Has anyone else had this problem before or worked on a related situation?
Zwilson8806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilson8806
I have a 1992 318 conv. and I have a dry start issue. I have had the car for a couple of years now and this has never been a problem before. If the car sets for several hours it will have a dry start problem. If the time period is shorter it starts normal. I have checked several things oil level, oil pressure, oil grade. It has a cartridge style oil filter and I have had the top off the resevor a couple of times this week and the resevor is empty after it sets several hours. Is there a one way check valve to prevent the filter housing from draining out the oil? I have put oil in the housing before starting and it starts properly. Has anyone else had this problem before or worked on a related situation?
What do you mean by dry start and what is the exact problem you are having? Noise on start up, oil light on?

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: I have 3 E30s
Photos:
Zwilson8806 is on a distinguished road
Both, for the first few seconds. The oil light is illuminated and the top end is noisy. After a few seconds it is quite and the pressure is good. I have had the car for a couple of years and it this just started.As I stated if the lid from the oil canister is removed and is filled with oil and then started it does good.
The canister where the oil filter is will drain completely empty. I'm sorry to say I'm frustrated and don't even want to start it. I have started it about 12 times now and can't stand to hear the load chatter of the valve train. I plan to pull off the valve cover and check the valve adustment, cam,rocker wear on Saturday. I could understand if it got loader over time, but this was all at once. The engine is right at 100k and is not a daily driver (toy) and it does sit for days at a time without being driven.Input? Don't hold back I'm mechanically inclined and have all the proper equipment to do about any job.Just getting frustarted! ! ! !
Zwilson8806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
What brand and weight oil are you using, and what brand oil filter? Your timing chain tensioner could also be going bad and making a rattling noise.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
i am not an expert on the oil systems of e30's but i'm going to give you my best guess at the situation...

First a question, when and what did you do (if anything) to the car right before you had this happening to you? when is the last time you changed your oil / filter?

If i were you i would look into the oil filter and double check that all the gaskets are in their proper places to insure a good seal of the entire compartment. If the lubrication of the start up relies on pressure built up in the oil system then this could be a problem (like i said im not an expert on this system)

Here is a link you can use to find where each gasket is supposed to go: RealOEM.COM * BMW E30 318i LUBRICATION SYSTEM-OIL FILTER

The second part i would look into would be your control valve on your actual oil pump. This valve may me sticking slightly from age and keeping your oil from advancing as it needs to... ( again just a guess)

Placement of the valve: #5
RealOEM.COM * BMW E30 318i LUBRICATION SYSTEM/OIL PUMP WITH DRIVE

The third and I am not even sure if they have this in the e30 is there is a valve in your valve cover (on e36's) which holds the oil in the valve system to keep it lubricated when you need to start it cold... this is known to go bad (which is the cause of valve tick on many bmws) again im not an expert, and havent seen anything that says e30's even have this valve but it may lead you in a more focused direction...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)