My Clutch Is Whining. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
(Thread Starter)
Hey. How yall been?

Some part of my clutch assembly is making a noise surprisingly akin to a belt slipping. It's high-pitched and squeaky, is typically more likely to occur shortly after the car's been started (though I haven't driven more than thirty miles at a time since noticing the problem), and can happen in any gear as I feather the clutch to start going.

The sound stops when I disengage the bugger, but not immediately; it more or less tapers off a second after I shoot the clutch pedal to the floor, which I guess suggests that it's not a friction plate. My father guessed that it might be the throwout bearing, and I don't know enough about the things that can go wrong with that to add any insight. The whole thing was replaced about a year ago.

Thanks for reading, replies much appreciated.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by Aether@Mar 14 2005, 06:05 PM
Hey. How yall been?

Some part of my clutch assembly is making a noise surprisingly akin to a belt slipping. It's high-pitched and squeaky, is typically more likely to occur shortly after the car's been started (though I haven't driven more than thirty miles at a time since noticing the problem), and can happen in any gear as I feather the clutch to start going.

The sound stops when I disengage the bugger, but not immediately; it more or less tapers off a second after I shoot the clutch pedal to the floor, which I guess suggests that it's not a friction plate. My father guessed that it might be the throwout bearing, and I don't know enough about the things that can go wrong with that to add any insight. The whole thing was replaced about a year ago.

Thanks for reading, replies much appreciated.
[snapback]311392[/snapback]
sounds like your dad nailed it. id say its the throw out bearing as well.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:08 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Discovery.
The frequency of the noise is directly related to engine speed, which is why it doesn't shut up immediately after I disengage the clutch. The noise goes away just above idle (~700rpm), and if I push the throttle (in neutral or in gear) just as it goes away, I can make it come back. It doesn't just make this sound as the assembly is articulating; when it starts to squeal, it'll keep on going even if the driveline is in full contact and moving along, until I disengage and let the motor drop to idle for a few seconds. I don't think I was too clear about that before.

Nothing in the system feels or acts differently that I can tell. It's not slipping any more than normal, and it doesn't vibrate voilently or anything.

I'm baffled.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:28 PM
5th Gear Member

Gomerino is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gomerino Send a message via Yahoo to Gomerino
my old 325e made that noise as the clutch was going out... never figured out what it was exactly... ended up replacing everything..

Is the clutch slipping?

#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:28 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Not on its own, no.
It sat in the cold for over three hours while I was at lacrosse practice today, and when I started it up it immediately started whining. It idles at about 1000 when it's really cold, and the noise was pretty subtle but definitely there. The car wasn't and hadn't been in gear since being started, and I ended up having to turn it off and start it again after I couldn't go ten feet without it screaming at me.

I'm not driving it anymore until my mechanic looks at it.
Maybe it is a belt.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aether@Mar 16 2005, 08:28 PM
Not on its own, no.
It sat in the cold for over three hours while I was at lacrosse practice today, and when I started it up it immediately started whining. It idles at about 1000 when it's really cold, and the noise was pretty subtle but definitely there. The car wasn't and hadn't been in gear since being started, and I ended up having to turn it off and start it again after I couldn't go ten feet without it screaming at me.

I'm not driving it anymore until my mechanic looks at it.
Maybe it is a belt.
[snapback]313179[/snapback]
is your starter disingaging after you start the car up? maybe the gear issn't comming back and the fly wheel is spinning up your starter really high and its making that noise, had that problem on my 68 chevelle. if it was a belt you coudl just pop the hood and listen to it and that wouldt ell you pretty quick.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
The starter's fine.
I opened the hood last night and the noise actually seemed to be coming from the front of the engine, which would mean it's not clutch-related. It was totally dark, and I couldn't see anything, but I gues it could also be something wrong with the fan; I understand it's sort of complex.

I'm going to do some work to other minor things it's got this weekend, maybe I can find something out while I'm under there.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aether@Mar 17 2005, 08:13 PM
The starter's fine.
I opened the hood last night and the noise actually seemed to be coming from the front of the engine, which would mean it's not clutch-related. It was totally dark, and I couldn't see anything, but I gues it could also be something wrong with the fan; I understand it's sort of complex.

I'm going to do some work to other minor things it's got this weekend, maybe I can find something out while I'm under there.
[snapback]313782[/snapback]
is it a slipping belt, push on them to see how much tension they have. if one is loose replace it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)