My Car Is Possessed By The Devil. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Thumbs down

To start, my car will simply randomly hardstart. Usually when completely cold it starts easily but after its ran for even 2 minutes the next attempt to start it will result in a long-cranking-start.

This hardstart issue is beyond belief un-curable. I've tested the starter and alternator and both have sufficient voltage to them as well.
I've replaced the FPR, injectors, all temperature sensors in the engine, the CPS, the spark wires, the ignition coil, the distributor & rotor, and every relay.

I tested the AFM its okay.

I'm going to most likely replace the starter and alternator with the ones I know to be good from my 85 325, but who really knows...

I'm starting to think its un-curable. Just crush the car and buy a new one, sorta uncurable.

The one thing I haven't yet tried is the actual ignition switch, but I dont see how it could be that since the ignition switch provides power to the ignition coil relay and when on the "on" position that relay has power. Might as well go replace that next too.

End of the day its just been a learning experience I suppose, wasting copious ammounts of money so that anyone else out there who has the same problem doesn't have to. I guess.

Hardstarting just takes all the joy out of the driving experience.

Someone put me out of my misery.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
don't get discouraged.........want constant real problems that you can almost never get rid of fully? go VW

i wonder if you possibly have an injector that is leaking down a bit, fouling out the plugs and giving you a hard start up after she has run for a bit. try pulling the plugs after you let her run for a bit and shut her down and tried cranking on her. see what they look like. i had a jetta that was doing this to me, although much worse. also next time it happens try flooring the gas pedal when you are cranking and see if she fires up any sooner. if she does fire up sooner (full throttle gives it more air than gas) then you probably have a leaky injector.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by DJProfessor@Apr 8 2005, 08:07 AM
don't get discouraged.........want constant real problems that you can almost never get rid of fully? go VW

i wonder if you possibly have an injector that is leaking down a bit, fouling out the plugs and giving you a hard start up after she has run for a bit. try pulling the plugs after you let her run for a bit and shut her down and tried cranking on her. see what they look like. i had a jetta that was doing this to me, although much worse. also next time it happens try flooring the gas pedal when you are cranking and see if she fires up any sooner. if she does fire up sooner (full throttle gives it more air than gas) then you probably have a leaky injector.
[snapback]328345[/snapback]
already tried that. no different WOT vs not touching it.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
ICV Vavle? used

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
have you pulled your plugs? what do they look like?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
with brand new plugs it still hard-started.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
well what did they look like? the plugs can help point you in the direction of a fueling issue or ignition issue.

as i start to think about it, i am wondering how your fuel pump is doing......have you pressure tested that sucker?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Mass airflow sensor? they get goofy sometimes...o2 sensor also?

Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
no MAF on that car.........

and the O2 sensor really only comes into play when the car warms up and goes into closed loop.

what about your ignition coil?........

but right now i am still curious the condition of your plugs
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
in first post he said he replaced ignition coil...but hey, if this one's bad, it's warranty time!!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
my bad, missed that ghead
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jze325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank position sensor!!!! Have you checked that out??

Those are hit or miss, when they go it could be intermittent (spellcheck) also, I had a VERY similar problem on my '91, I swore it was a fuel probelm because It did not happen ALL of the time, it tured out to be the ignition coil!!?? I dont know about you guys but I have had coils go in the past and they eaither worked or not, so I never suspected it, finally it just croaked and I replace it and VVVRRROOOOOM, all fixed... Hope to be of some help..
Attached Thumbnails
My Car Is Possessed By The Devil.-side.jpg  
jze325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i thought that too, but he said he replaced it
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
sounds like a leaky injecter too, but he said he replaced them too. Did you put in new ones or used?
e30fanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
adavis is an unknown quantity at this point
Another thread on the same topic! I have the same prob with my car. I keep hearing the ICV. That is about the only thing not replaced, but I did clean it and the car idles well after starting. I also thought about the injectors leaking, but saw the price to replace......

There has to be documentation on this issue somewhere. It appears that this is fairly common with these cars. Mine '91 325i

Peace,
Andy
adavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)